When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Grandfathers Western Flyer

-
There are repro tanks that become available now and then, from CWC Roadmaster bikes of the 1990's(?).
A repro Roadmaster tank might not be an exact match, but such preferences should depend on the owner.
View attachment 1062656
Not too sure about the peculiarities of Western Flyer tanks, e.g., sheet-metal stamping differences, (if any; many were more plain looking).
A key feature in recognizing the CWC split tanks, besides the straight bottom and chevron front, is the flared tail piece at the rear end.
Since other manufacturers, (e.g., Huffman, Murray), made bicycles for Western Auto, some Western Flyer tanks will not fit CWC-built frames.

I'm almost certain the Luxury Liner tank shown will NOT fit this frame. The above description may hold true for post war tanks but certainly not for prewar. If it were me I would either find the correct tank or do without. Only place to shop for tires is @John who makes the best repro chain treads in a variety of colors. V/r Shawn

Only place to shop for tires is @John who makes the best repro chain treads in a variety of colors. V/r Shawn
Red 1.jpg Green 3.jpg Blue tires 26 (Snyder).jpg
I like John's chain tread tires.

Great story and great bike. Put the correct tank on your bike.You will find it here on the CABE. It will not be cheap, but the bike won't look right with something that fits poorly. But, before you buy one... if that bike was stored in your grandfather's place , check that basement out... thoroughly. Get up on a stool and check between the floor joists and on top of the duct work. If he saved the bike, he may have stuck that light and tank somewhere. Many hard to find bicycle parts, from bikes long since scrapped , have been found stashed in attics, basements and garages. Good luck and have fun!

Thank you guys so much. I was curious about the “tall tank” bikes because they looked so similar. I’m going to put it back as original as I can hopefully with the right parts. I’d do repop temporarily but eventually I’d like to have the correct tank and headlight and stuff. Those tires look great so I’ll probably go with them. I asked my dad today and he said the tank may still be in the basement so I’ll keep digging next time I go up there.

Wild looking motor setup, wish there were better pics and pic wont blow so don't even know what motor it is but even has a Whizzer rear stand, you can find the right rack and guard here because they were used on other models but the Tall Tank being one of the rarest bikes on here and only a 2 year frame/tank that doesen't share with other models ( just the WF & Roadmaster ) so you might have to settle for a repop tank. Good Luck

Wild looking motor setup, wish there were better pics and pic wont blow so don't even know what motor it is but even has a Whizzer rear stand, you can find the right rack and guard here because they were used on other models but the Tall Tank being one of the rarest bikes on here and only a 2 year frame/tank that doesen't share with other models ( just the WF & Roadmaster ) so you might have to settle for a repop tank. Good Luck

Yeah I think I remember him saying it was like a boat motor where you reached back and twisted the handle to give it gas. No idea what brand it was or anything. He wrote some memoirs so I need to check and see if he wrote anything in there about it.

Back