When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Lastest Find! Riding and Reviewing an 1870 Bicycle -Also looking for Advice

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I have to agree with Pelletman. My intuition is the frame is steel instead of being iron. Plus the hex head bolts raise red flags.
That's certainly a possibility, it could be a steel frame. I have actually learned a few things since creating this post a year ago. It would appear that this bicycle was either built by the Sanderson Brother's Vulcan Works of Sheffield England, or was at the very least built using their steel. I have been able to determine this because under the seat, on one of the seat springs is stamped "Sanderson Brothers" into the metal. The frame appears to be solid metal and not hollow, and has the appearance of having been extruded out mechanically, as opposed to hand forged like is seen on earlier machines. As for the age, it is still a mystery. With regards to hex head bolts, although square head bolts were the most common standard in the 1860s, 70s, & 80s, hex head bolts were very much in common use by that point, and can be seen on a number of verified examples of period bicycles and other devices. It should also be noted that the Sanderson brothers company was absorbed in the very early 1900s, around 1905 thereabouts. So there is definitely still a lot that is unknown about the age and origins of this machine. My guess is still circa 1875 or so but I am just a novice; it does, to my untrained eye, look like genuine period construction up close in person more so than in pictures. I also recently found a copy of the 2009 museum auction listing, and it mentions that this bicycle came from Hornell, New York at some point, presumably that is where it was found in the 1950s before being acquired by the museum. I do believe it is a one off, but as to by whom and when it was built, that is up for debate. Below is a picture of it looks now, that I have reupholstered the seat, and finished the pedals. That is a picture of me riding it in my profile thumbnail. It sure is a fun bike to ride, and by fun I mean scary! Thank you for reading, and for your interest!

1649503420121.png

Last edited:
Back