When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My most "rewarding" bike ride

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

morton

I live for the CABE
Happened about 10-15 years ago but I still remember it as if it were yesterday.

On local bike trail at one of the rest stops just enjoying the solitude. Three kids about 13-15 on bmx bikes pull up. Little noisy, but not out of line, and I figured my quiet time was over so I got on my bike and started on my way.

Get about 20 yards down the path and they start yelling hey you and some other things I couldn't quite make out and I assumed it was something insulting. It continued as I rode away and I finally got po'd and turned around. Don't know what I was going to do but I had had enough.

One of them comes running toward me and I thought here we go.

In his hand is MY wallet and he says "hey mister this fell out of your pocket when you got on your bike."

I opened it to see if any money was left and he says, "Your money is there, we didn't take any."

It took me a moment to recover......had almost $200, id, credit card, etc., and indeed it was all there.

I pulled out a $20, and said, "No it's not, it's missing $20" as I held the bill out and handed it to him with my thanks.

I could tell he was elated as I thanked him about 10 more times for being honest.

Turns out about 5 years later I got job teaching in the district where the incident occurred but by then they had probably graduated. Equally rewarding were the kids I had in class as they were fantastic. I hated to leave the profession but health issues forced me out just as I felt I was becoming a really effective educator. .

I had a number of great experiences while out riding but this was the most rewarding both monetarily and emotionally and one of the things I hate most about my stinkin' health is not being able to ride anymore.

How about you? Ever had something special happen to you when out riding?

Last edited:
When I was young and in the prime of my life, I had ridden my bike about 14 miles down to the seaside community of Laguna Beach, California.
While there, I met a bikini clad woman about 10 years older than me.
Before I knew it, I had my bike in the trunk of her car, and we were off to a local hotel, where we spent some very loving hours enjoying each other’s company.
One of those days you never forget.

When I was young and in the prime of my life, I had ridden my bike about 14 miles down to the seaside community of Laguna Beach, California.
Before I knew it, I had my bike in the trunk of her car, and we were off to a local hotel, where we spent some very loving hours enjoying each other’s company.

"When I was young and in the prime of my life,"

So this was last week? 👍

Several years ago i volunteered at our local homeless shelter. While being there i met Tom who like me, rode his bike most everywhere he went. Tom had had a rough life and lived part time in a garage, sometimes he camped out (when he wanted to avoid people), or at the mission. After gaining Tom's trust, he opened up to me and gave me some insight into his past life which included cronic homelessness, prison etc.

Tom and i became friends and started to schedule weekend rides together. One day i asked Tom if he ever would consider doing STP (Seattle to Portland) with me. He said he would love to but could not afford the entry fee and lodging etc. I decided to offer to foot the bill for the entire weekend if he would go. He agreed.

We trained for 3 months, rode every day and did STP (97) together. I rode my super lightweight Diamondback that i had just bought for $800 and Tom rode his $20 Goodwill special. We completed the 200 mile ride and had many memorable experiences during the ride including a Moose in the road, brakedowns etc. The ride concluded that year at Portland State University and about 50 yards from the finish line my rear tire exploded. I told Tom to keep going and i would walk the last short stretch and he did. People were cheering as he crossed the finish line and he proudly got his finishing patch placed around his neck. When i got to Tom he had a tear or two in his eyes and he told me that that was the first time in his life that he ever completed a goal he set for himself. He thanked me for making it possible.

Unfortunately, a year or so afterward i was transferred to Omaha and lost track of Tom. He was 67 when he did that STP so suspect he may no longer be with us. However, his smile and pride in finishing that 1997 ride will always be with me.

Think I read that story in Playboy!

Yep!
Back in those days, that’s all I wore.
A pair of Lycra shorts, and wood sole Vittoria’s.
I had the ladies cat calling me from their convertible Mercedes.
I can’t mention what they said they wanted to do to me. Lol!

When I was about ten or eleven, I think, some of the neighborhood kids would gather about 7 or 8 blocks away from where I lived where new houses were being built. The rule was I had to be home by dark, around 9:00pm. There were a couple older girls that came around every now and then. They were 12 or 13 😍 and we would go to the basement and they would grade us on kissing 💋 So now it's about 9:45 and dark and I know I'm in trouble. I pedal as fast as I can to get home. As I come to my corner I see my Mom sitting on the porch with a fly swatter in her hand and a look only a terrified kid can have 😬 I was able to duck down behind a car before she saw me, we were the second house off the corner. I yanked the chain loose and wiped grease all over my face, hands and shirt 🤓 Then I stared pushing my bike home crying like I never had before. Mom, my bike broke and I have been pushing it from 9th street, we lived on 16th.😇 Mom consoled me and all was good, I even had ice cream that night 🥲

Back