When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Neighbor's Raleigh Sports...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

HARPO

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
I just bought this today from my next door neighbor's wife who was selling it for her husband. He came down with Parkinson's quite a few years ago and the bike has been collecting dust in their shed ever since.

He had purchased it new in 1970, took the fenders off after a while he had told me years ago, and rode the crap out of it. Sadly, he told his wife maybe he could still ride it, but that's never going to happen. I couldn't see the bike going to anyone else when I found out she was selling it, and I'll do my best to get it looking nice again. I'm sure he'd like to see it looking good again, and knowing it didn't go far.

Lots to do, but I'm up for the challenge! 🙂

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2401.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2403.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

-----

the B72 gives an indication of how much usage the mount hath received...

have not previously seen the Gripfast track nuts with a star pattern on the disc, all others can recall showed a letter to indicate the marque of the cycle

HARPO will have this piece looking concours ready in no time at all! such be his magic 😉

-----

@juvela Yes, the B72 has seen its share of miles...and more miles. First time I've seen one worn away to this extent, but I know for a fact he never did anything to it since 1970.

I'm really excited to get this bike back on the road again, and I'm sure I can get the paint on the frame and fork to shine again. @Pedaltherapy And yes, I was lucky that the fenders were removed early on to at least keep them in a nice condition. Love the gold pin striping against the black.

The amount of grease on the bike is unreal. I don't think it's been touched since the bike was new in 1970. Layer after layer, its taking quite a while to get it off. But on a positive note, its kept things preserved over the years, especially the chrome. LOTS more work than planned, but still OK. It will look like a different bike when I get it done! 😛

Last edited:
@juvela It's coming off, using WD-40, it's just the amount that I'm quite shocked at. Had the bike been a color other than black, I would have noticed it right away. 😄

They should just sell the red Raleigh appliqué that they are putting on those junk cotters, and call that good.

Those pedals are a bonus, rebuildable Raleigh reflector version. Hard to find. A guy from the Far East sells a repop version of the blocks, no reflectors, but, you will have a lifetime set of pedals if the shafts are straight, and you add those blocks and new bearings.

That bike should clean up well. I don’t know who the previous owners of my bikes were, for the very most part.

Ted

Back