When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My New J.C. Higgins

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

wrongway

I live for the CABE
I responded to an ad in which a fellow said he had over 50 bikes. I think he really did. As I looked around nothing caught my eye, except for the Western Flyer like mine, but all there. It was $80-$100. I decided I did not want to spend all that much right now. He said he had another bike in the basement and I asked him to bring it out. This is what it was. It was only $50 so I thought I would give it a try. To me it looked to be all there, but tell me, what is missing or incorrect. I'm already questioning the paint job and the fact that the chrome is painted silver. It does come off, but I think the chrome was lightly scuffed before it was painted. I opened up the light and it doesn't look too bad. The connections could stand to be polished and the chrome is gone where the bulbs screw in. What size of bulbs does this use? Flashlight style? The serial # is: 502 46600 054465
So, is this one to restore or keep it like it is and ride it? What year do you think it is? I'm thinking 60's. Thanks,Scott
2012-06-18_19-44-33_161.jpg
2012-06-18_19-44-49_108.jpg
2012-06-18_19-45-04_367.jpg
2012-06-18_19-45-27_295.jpg
2012-06-18_19-45-42_992.jpg
2012-06-18_19-45-58_382.jpg
2012-06-18_19-46-22_995.jpg

You definitely didn't miss out at 50$. A pair of those original rocket reflectors on the rack just sold for almost that much on ebay ;) Other than the pedals, that looks all correct as far as I can see. Complete tank is nice to have and a nice lens. This model was early-mid 60s

I'd say use a paint stripper on the painted chrome, polish that up, put some fresh grease in the bearings while you've got it apart and ride! The chrome underneath may be surprisingly decent and chemical stripper won't hurt it. Probably leave the light bezel as those were plastic chrome and any of that underneath would strip away. I usually use duplicolor chrome paint on plastic chrome parts.. it's not great but it pops a little more than silver. Good luck!

what??? $50 bucks

Nice deal there. These painted versions aren't as valuable as the chromed framed ones but for $50, can't beat that deal.
Even the rack and the tank lens are worth the $50.

Great find.
I'd wash her or him up and remove the painted over chrome, grease him and get the lights working (of course) and ride the tires off it.

50 bikes? any other tanklight bikes in his herd?

Looks like a Flight Liner, very nice and complete as best I can tell, your pics are very small. Congrats.

Thanks guys! I took it for a small ride tonight. It needs a tune up for sure. When I'm pushing it back into the garage the pedals will turn on their own. Painted version? Tell me more. Any guess as to the year? The only other tank bike he had was a Western Flyer. It looked a lot like mine that I'm restoring. Pretty good shape. Asking $80-$100. I still have his number if anyone is interested. Thanks, Scott

Here's a picture of the one I passed on. Maybe I will regret it. I would love to have just the tank for mine!
2012-06-16_11-34-18_28.jpg

Nice Find.

I looked it up, and the serial number shows it as a 1962 Flightliner. It looks completely intact, too, with the exception of the non-original pedals and missing reflector on the rear fender.

The original pedals have a large diamond shape reflector on each side like this one.

pedal.JPG

Thanks guys! I took it for a small ride tonight. It needs a tune up for sure. When I'm pushing it back into the garage the pedals will turn on their own. Painted version? Tell me more. Any guess as to the year? The only other tank bike he had was a Western Flyer. It looked a lot like mine that I'm restoring. Pretty good shape. Asking $80-$100. I still have his number if anyone is interested. Thanks, Scott

I'm interested in the western flyer...got [email protected]

As for the year of the flightliner, the catalog number should determine the year.
Send brentp a message, maybe he can tell you.

I think early 60's....My early 60's murrays with bendix single speed, the crank is engaged as well...never thought to ask why.
But, its a good question.
Doesn't make sense to me as the chain is not moving when the bike is free rolling.

Anybody out there know this answer?

That Western Flyer is cool but too bad I don't have the money darn it.

I see it has a CPC Cycle Products Company Bikextras speedometer, I like that companies stuff but after I believe Bell got the company the brand is now gone and they had some cool things too like turn signals along with headlights with built in horns.

I miss that company.

Back