When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Newly Finished 1948 Schwinn B6 Autocycle

-

Joey Bombaci

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hey all! Just wanted to share with you my 1948 Schwinn B6 Autocycle. I bought this bike last year for $400 and completely tore it apart down to the last bolt. Went through lots of evaporust and sos pads but managed to get her road worthy! I converted it to a porkchop front brake bike as I just love the look and the function of it all. Along with the NOS porkchop I replaced all the spokes with NOS double butted torringtons from "oldbikes" on Ebay. I had my local bike shop lace up the original non-knurl S2's and put washers behind the nipple ends to give more support as the rims are 72 years old. I found a 6 hole rack and fender light cover and had to strip and paint them both to match the patina of the bike. A lot of weathering but Im happy with the result. Thanks to @bicyclebones from Ebay for the new fender light tray and horn assembly! I also was missing the key and I love the original YALE keys so I had @WES PINCHOT replace the key cylinder with another original cylinder and key from the same time period. Thank you Wes! I also rebuilt a Stewart Warner speedo to put on there to give it just another period piece! This bike floats and I absolutely love to ride it! Huge thank you to Mr. @bobcycles He was super helpful in the parts hunt, Balloon Tire schwinn knowledge, as well as supplying me with an expertly restored B-1 Mesinger Seat! Thanks Bob! Here is the Before and After.

B6_#10.jpg

B6_#11.jpg

48_Autocycle_#1 copy.jpg

48_Autocycle_#2 copy.jpg

48_Autocycle_#3 copy.jpg

48_Autocycle_#4 copy.jpg

48_Autocycle_#5 copy.jpg

48_Autocycle_#6 copy.jpg

48_Autocycle_#7 copy.jpg

That is a great looking bike, with nice color match parts. Did you redo the red pins or just uncover the original ones?
Shawn M.

Very nice work , love the color combinations , these bikes awesome , enjoy the bike great job !!!!!!!!

Hey all! Just wanted to share with you my 1948 Schwinn B6 Autocycle. I bought this bike last year for $400 and completely tore it apart down to the last bolt. Went through lots of evaporust and sos pads but managed to get her road worthy! I converted it to a porkchop front brake bike as I just love the look and the function of it all. Along with the NOS porkchop I replaced all the spokes with NOS double butted torringtons from "oldbikes" on Ebay. I had my local bike shop lace up the original non-knurl S2's and put washers behind the nipple ends to give more support as the rims are 72 years old. I found a 6 hole rack and fender light cover and had to strip and paint them both to match the patina of the bike. A lot of weathering but Im happy with the result. Thanks to @bicyclebones from Ebay for the new fender light tray and horn assembly! I also was missing the key and I love the original YALE keys so I had @WES PINCHOT replace the key cylinder with another original cylinder and key from the same time period. Thank you Wes! I also rebuilt a Stewart Warner speedo to put on there to give it just another period piece! This bike floats and I absolutely love to ride it! Huge thank you to Mr. @bobcycles He was super helpful in the parts hunt, Balloon Tire schwinn knowledge, as well as supplying me with an expertly restored B-1 Mesinger Seat! Thanks Bob! Here is the Before and After.

View attachment 1190745

View attachment 1190746

View attachment 1190754

View attachment 1190755

View attachment 1190756

View attachment 1190758

View attachment 1190759

View attachment 1190760

View attachment 1190761
Evaporust and SOS pads? You forgot to mention your time. Time well spent! Very through cleaning! You got it all. Beautiful Schwinn!

Back