When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My old 1968 Orange Krate rat rod

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

sworley

I live for the CABE
I recently dug up an old computer that had some photos from around 2014 on it. I thought I'd share the story of this '68 Orange Krate that I stupidly sold.

A few years ago my buddies and I were intrigued by a massive bicycle auction in a nearby small town. There were all kinds of various bikes from completes to frames and tons of parts - mostly low-end junk and some Schwinns sprinkled in. Of course, the Krates were highly publicized but I was surprised by the relatively low hammer price. Pic 1 shows our haul with the '68 only being what I bought, the rest belonged to my friends. There was a complete Lemon Peeler that sold for $600 but was very bodged. I was more intrigued by this thick housepaint-covered starting point (pics 2 and 3) as it at least had all Schwinn parts. I didn't buy it at the auction but later I got the '69 parts bike from a friend who bought it there for parts (pic 5).

So I began using nail polish remover and paper towels with pretty good success - I'd just dab it on and let it soak, then it would wipe off pretty easily. It was time-consuming but I wasn't looking for perfect right away - it was summer and I wanted to ride it! My thought was to get it up and running and clean it up further over winter if I wanted. I kind of liked the idea of a rough patina rider anyway as I feel so many Krates are overrestored.

I tracked down a matching condition '68 seat and sourced some parts as needed. I took what I needed off the '69 and parted it out. Then I installed a big 'ol tall sissybar for attitude. It was a really fun project and the bike rode well. However, at the time I was living in a small apartment where space was a premium. Stupidly I sold it quite cheaply. In hindsight, I should have screwed some hooks in my storage unit and hung it in the rafters until I had a bigger place. Unlikely I'll find such a ratty, cool '68 ever again but this was a fun adventure! Thanks for reading!

061.JPG

ouq[uewfpuhpfuiiiii.JPG

002.JPG

008.JPG

038.JPG

rtoguwre[fouqw[ofd.JPG

011.JPG

008 (2).JPG

010 (2).JPG

010 (3).JPG

015.JPG

photo (1).JPG