When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My paper route bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Do you remember if the bands around the rear hub were yellow or red? Was there something in particular that make you think it was heavy duty? Did it have a black and white seat with a S on it?

Last edited:
paper route bike

bands were red. (three bands) My dad thought the "bendix two speed" was cool. I wish I could remember what the chain guard said-but it was a long time ago. I do remember how heavy and durable that bike was. I think the seat was black and white with the S on it.

Last edited:
bands were red. (three bands) My dad thought the "bendix two speed" was cool. I wish I could remember what the chain guard said-but it was a long time ago. I do remember how heavy and durable that bike was. I think the seat was black and white with the S on it.

Ok I think were are narrowing it down. The red bands bring more bikes into the equation as for the most part the last year for red bands were 1963. Did it have a tank? Were the fenders chrome or painted black?

Here are some names of the popular 26" bikes from that period maybe one will ring a bell:
Jaguar
Panther
American
Corvette
Hornet
Tiger
Tornado
Typhoon

I wish I could remember what model it was. I do remember it did have three red bands and it was a new bike. It had to be a 66-67 as I had to be 14 to throw the route. I did see a heavy duti somewhere last night that looked like the one. No tank. It was a 66, all black with white pin stripes on fenders and white tiped front fender and had three red stripes. What models were heavy duti bikes or were they a model of their own? Thanks for your help and bearing with me.

Last edited:
Hi:

The three bikes in 66 with painted fenders were the Heavi Duti (a separate model but a 2 speed was not offered) Fleet (but it had a tank) and the Typhoon and Deluxe Typhoon which did come in black with painted fenders but would have had the yellow band 2 speeds. Here are a couple thoughts. Maybe it was a Heavy Duti and your dad had them add the 2 speed, Schwinn dealers would do about anything for a customer and what they had was a red band. The red bands were gone by 66 on new bikes. Also the Heavy Duti came with a different seat, not black/white. Maybe you bought the bike in 66 but it might have been sitting around for a while and was a earlier year bike. Not that uncommon. Here is the 66 catalog page and the Heavy Duti specs:

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961_1970/1966_2021.html

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961_1970/1966dlr_Heavy_Duti.html

Last edited:
paper route bike

I appreciate the info. You got me thinking about before I had the paper route. I'ts hard to remember exactly when I got the 26" Was young for my grade. After doing the math I realize I had the paper route in 68-69. I guess the old man found one like new or had the dealer install the bendix 2 speed-don't know. The Typhoon looks like the bike-really don't remember the seat-maybe had an S-maybe not. I feel like I'm talking to my shrink! Was the typhoon a fairly heavy bike? Mabe it just seemed so. Thanks.

Last edited:
Another Paperboy Bike

This is a 1937 Schwinn Roadster Paperboy I did last year. Just thought I would add it to your post hope you don't mind.
I was a paperboy myself in the early 1970's and still have fond memories of delivering 102 sunday papers (Milwaukee Journal)
in the winter with my bicycle. When I collected money from the customers I would watch for silver coins. I still have those silver coins to this day. frankster41
DSCF1095-1.jpg

I appreciate the info. You got me thinking about before I had the paper route. I'ts hard to remember exactly when I got the 26" Was young for my grade. After doing the math I realize I had the paper route in 68-69. I guess the old man found one like new or had the dealer install the bendix 2 speed-don't know. The Typhoon looks like the bike-really don't remember the seat-maybe had an S-maybe not. I feel like I'm talking to my shrink! Was the typhoon a fairly heavy bike? Mabe it just seemed so. Thanks.

Yes they were all heavy!! The Heavy Duti weighed 53 1/2 pounds and the Typhoon 49 1/2 so not much different. My guess is you had a Typhoon as they probably outsold the Heavy Duti 100 to 1 or more. The red band almost surely had to be put on.

Great bike Frankster!

Here is a pic of my Panther III

Attachments

• P1010019.jpg
    P1010019.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 175
Back