When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

my project

-

JimK

Finally riding a big boys bike
Hello All,
I am not sure if this is the proper place to post this but since this is a “project ride” it seems to fit. If not please feel free to move it.
This all started with the idea of making a bicycle that looked like a vintage Haley from the teens. First I needed to find a frame that fit the idea which I did right here on the CABE by way of a fantastic deal from scrubbinrims.
1.JPG

With the look set firmly in my head I set out to make a tank that looked the part. First I made a pattern on poster board
3.JPG

Then did a mock up for fit.
4.JPG

Transferred it to sheet metal
5.JPG

Cut, bent and tacked it up.
9.JPG

1.JPG

9.JPG

5.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG

Made some mounting brackets while the bondo was setting.
8.JPG

All done
11.JPG

Then I set my sights on the front end. I got a nice set of forks from Gordon.
9.jpg

Then I started to mock up how I wanted the truss rods to look and built them out of an old plant stand that I found in the yard.
10.JPG

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Got a few more parts from Gordon
14.jpg

15.JPG

I need some more practice lacing the wheels but you get the idea.
16.JPG

I also got a way cool carbide light from redlin1968. I did not like how high the original bracket set so I made a bracket that dropped the light down to where I thought it should be.
17.jpg

18.JPG

19.jpg

I have a few more parts on the way so I hope that there will be more progress soon. I hope to build a side car for this bike as well. Maybe something like this.
SC.jpg

Anyway that is it so far. Any thoughts or advice well be very welcome.
Thanks for looking

JimK

14.jpg

15.JPG

16.JPG

17.jpg

18.JPG

19.jpg

SC.jpg

Headbadge

You will have to try etching a Harley headbadge. Check out thread for making your own headbadges, very good thread. frankster41

I saw that sidecar on feebay. It's about as cool as it gets but for 1000$? making one would be killer ;)

Frankster, I have looked at that thread and it got the wheels turning for sure. I may try it

jpromo, I agree about the sidecar, but there will be no 1000.00 sidecar for me that is for sure. I should be able to make one....how hard could it be?

Thanks for the comments

JimK

Last edited:
Back