When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My son’s vintage Hawthorne build

-

tylerw

Finally riding a big boys bike
Thought I’d show you guys what my son has been up to. He’s 13 years old and has 3 or 4 classic bikes including a Stingray and a Tornado. This year for Christmas all he wanted was a tank bike.

Well my good friend @KrustyCycles happened to have this 24” Hawthorne in his huge stash and I scored it from him. Thanks again man. My son had the wheels rebuilt in no time and had a friend true them. He cleaned and greased bearings and picked out and bought his own tires. I threw a few parts his way out of my own parts stash.

Taking the old bike apart was a challenge. It probably hadn’t been on the road in 30-40 years. The stem had basically welded itself in the head tube. We tried for weeks to get it out and finally just cut it. It was the wrong stem anyway. I put up an ad in the wanted section and within minutes @danfitz1 offered to send me the correct stem, free of charge, because it was for my son. I tell ya, lots about the community on this site has restored my faith in humans.

So here he is. He’s named it “The Jackson Special” (after himself) and I’ve never seen him so committed or excited about anything, ever. Thanks to everyone that helped my son and I out along the way. [emoji3577]

60bf1f946b9463db48845d56501c24c5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So awesome! Congrats to you and your son. So nice to see youngsters interested in preserving antiques and classics. Bike does look a bit newer tho. Chain adjuster angle looks more like late 40's or 50's...

So awesome! Congrats to you and your son. So nice to see youngsters interested in preserving antiques and classics. Bike does look a bit newer tho. Chain adjuster angle looks more like late 40's or 50's...

Pretty sure it’s older? Dropouts facing backward???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back