When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mysteries of the planetary gearbox REVEALED!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Andrew Gorman

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
A lot of people- myself included have had a hard time wrapping our brains around how planetary gearbox/hub like a Sturmey Archer hub actually works. Here is a US Army training film from 1953 that does a good job of explaining how planetary gears work on a tank transmission which is just larger and easier to see than a bicycle hub. Basic mechanisms are explained well, although the method of locking parts is different. I hope other folks out there find it helpful- a tank transmission is not the first place I'd look for bicycle information, but there is always serendipity.

A lot of people- myself included have had a hard time wrapping our brains around how planetary gearbox/hub like a Sturmey Archer hub actually works. Here is a US Army training film from 1953 that does a good job of explaining how planetary gears work on a tank transmission which is just larger and easier to see than a bicycle hub. Basic mechanisms are explained well, although the method of locking parts is different. I hope other folks out there find it helpful- a tank transmission is not the first place I'd look for bicycle information, but there is always serendipity.

Excellent video. It helped me figure out how the Bendix two speed kickback hubs can be changed from underdrive to overdrive with just swapping the drivers. That always puzzled me. Thanks for sharing this :).

Back