When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery "clubman's" frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I've been doing a little research/reading online and there are several mentions of 'Mercian' actually building frames for Uppadine which possibly could account for the 'M' stamped on the fork steerer. But no real confirmation of this fact. 'Mercian' did contract build for many others.
Other comments mention that the frames were built at their Coventry branch.
More research required I guess.

Yes you are correct about that. I started researching last year as well but got tied up with other things.
Not very much on the Uppadine but there is a little out there to research. It's a rare bike!

HLloyds does decal transfers for the later bikes. I'm positive yours is the same as mine. I only know of one other early one like ours - it's on Flickr.

Last edited:
Also note that the gold color on mine is not correct. But the head lug gold coloring is correct on the bike and it's the only original colors present.
Someone clearly taped off the head tube and resprayed all the tubes to try and match but did a horrible color match. The lugs have a beautiful orange
lining around them and my decals are orange as well so a great color combo. It seems the black panels must be original to the frame also.

I guess you can do your bike any way you want really .... maybe in all orange! At least there is remnants of original color to go by for when you do your restoration.

s-l1600-11.jpg

Here's my b/b shell showing the numbers. I haven't stripped the frame yet as I'm being cautious before taking everything all off.

s-l1600-16.jpg

One day I was thinking if there might be original decals under the crappy paint someone did to this frame. I started sanding and found the original
font so now I know what it looks like in its original livery. Still need to do some more detective work on it though. It might have font on the top tube
or on the stays etc.

IMG_0385.JPG

Since Mercian was somehow involved with Uppadine then I thought of something like this Track bike. I thought of something more in line
with the seat tube styling for mine with the black striped so thinking anyway. I think you can get creative with yours and do what you like.

75456949_10156695720251238_1630156744162279424_o.jpg

Also note that the gold color on mine is not correct. But the head lug gold coloring is correct on the bike and it's the only original colors present.
Someone clearly taped off the head tube and resprayed all the tubes to try and match but did a horrible color match. The lugs have a beautiful orange
lining around them and my decals are orange as well so a great color combo. It seems the black panels must be original to the frame also.

I guess you can do your bike any way you want really .... maybe in all orange! At least there is remnants of original color to go by for when you do your restoration.

View attachment 1589199

Here's my b/b shell showing the numbers. I haven't stripped the frame yet as I'm being cautious before taking everything all off.

View attachment 1589202

One day I was thinking if there might be original decals under the crappy paint someone did to this frame. I started sanding and found the original
font so now I know what it looks like in its original livery. Still need to do some more detective work on it though. It might have font on the top tube
or on the stays etc.

View attachment 1589203

Since Mercian was somehow involved with Uppadine then I thought of something like this Track bike. I thought of something more in line
with the seat tube styling for mine with the black striped so thinking anyway. I think you can get creative with yours and do what you like.

View attachment 1589215
That 'Mercian' looks great.
I'm definitely leaning towards the orange and blue combination at the moment, but this may change!
If you have the good image of the head transfer you used to have the copies made I'd appreciate a copy of it in order to make some good transfers myself.
The later (1960's) transfers available from 'H. Lloyd's' are a little less stylish in my opinion.
Unfortunately they don't have the 'blocky' font downtube transfer either.

Check with Gus Salmon Decals, here on the Cabe.
If you can get some good high resolution photos of those decals, he can make them for you.
His decals are outstanding!
He just needs good quality pictures and measurements, and a commitment from you, and you’ll have them in your mailbox by the end of the week.

I've had Gus do some decals for me also and they are amazing!! He didn't do the decals for this bike but did another set for me on another bike. His work is top notch!

Note: I've already had these "Uppadine" decals made in water slide from a guy in the U.K. several yrs ago. I'll go through what I have because I think I have extras. I also have all the artwork since I paid big bucks to have it drawn up etc.

Back