When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery cog. Who can tell me what I have here?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

piercer_99

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Okay, so I bought a box of New Departure parts and this cog was in it. It isn't for a New Departure C or D hub, to big for the driver.

Anyone have a clue?

Made in Japan, 10t 1" pitch (skip tooth) cog.

35.25mm i.d. or 1-25/64" i.d.
4.4 mm thick or 11/64" thick

1605057671204.png
1605057693017.png
1605057735989.png

My gut feeling is that it is a European standard of some kind. Looks like the early Mark IV's which I believe were german made had a threaded cog (see attachment). It might be for one of those. The skiptooth is weird though. It is a conundrum.

Edit: I found a Komet Super dated 1961 (date code D) with a screw on sprocket. The ID of the sprocket on that hub was smaller than the OD of a New Departure driver so that's not it, at least for the more modern Fichtel and Sachs hubs. Maybe something earlier?

Edit2: It's definitely a Nankai built sprocket. Nankai was most famous for continuing to produce an almost exact copy of the New Departure Model D when New Departure exited the business in 1959. They also later produced a hub of their own design but I don't think that they would have used a screw on sprocket and certainly wouldn't have a skiptooth version by that time.

Attachments

• MarkIV.pdf
    40.6 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Not to beat a dead horse, but this might be the missing link. I saw it the other day and just remembered it now.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335809022&icep_item=172654232935

This must be an early version of the New Departure copies (NK75) since it has a screw on sprocket. And the lock nut does look larger than any New Departure lock nut. Maybe your cog is for an early version of the NK75 hub.

NK75-1.jpg

NK75-2.jpg

Back