When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery frame solved Monark Cruiser Frame

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

gkeep

I live for the CABE
This frame turned up at work over the weekend. It has Schwinn S bolts on the Springer forks, Bendix 86 Mexico coaster brake, persons seat and the only serial number is hand numbered using a punch. There are two holes as if a metal tag may have been under the bottom bracket like a Monark. Some crude welds, maybe someone threw this together from scraps? The lines resemble a Colson posted on Facebook Old Bikes Club. Might have the makings of a NorCal Tiki Cruiser??

Any thoughts? What is the metal peg under the frame for?
20180730_130207_resized_1-1.jpg

20180731_133906_resized-1.jpg

20180730_130212_resized_1.jpg

20180730_130219_resized_1.jpg

20180730_130230_resized_1.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks!! You nailed it! The kickstand is just like the one on the 54 Ladies Rocket we have and the wholes on the bottom bracket also made me think there was once a Monark serial number plate down there. No what is that hand tapped serial number all about?? And why the metal peg under the lower bar?

Gary

Thanks!! You nailed it! The kickstand is just like the one on the 54 Ladies Rocket we have and the wholes on the bottom bracket also made me think there was once a Monark serial number plate down there. No what is that hand tapped serial number all about?? And why the metal peg under the lower bar?

Gary
Maybe some sort of fork stop like on a motorcycle?

There are a lot of clues in this thread. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/monark-serial-number-help-what-year-is-it.75714/.

1. "Interesting your bike has the fork bumper on the frame. I have had 2 Monarks with these."
2. "No i.d. tags after '54."
3. "beginning 1953 single horizontal springer"
4. Another bike with holes for the ID tag but instead of a tag a standard stamped Serial Number.

And in this thread there is a comment that they only used single springer forks in 53-54. https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/ladies-monarch.41824/.

Gary
TR6SC is exactly right. My Monark has the metal peg and it stops the forks before anything hits the tank.

Back