Mystery Tandem Project (similar to Orient/Pierce/American)

• Regarding bumping ads in the classifed forums, we've just installed a new (customized) add-on that will change the way ads are bumped to the top. Please refer to the post "Bumping Classifed Ads" for details.
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
These ads go away when you register for an account!

Groundhog

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 16, 2012
Williamsburg, VA
Thanks- was hoping to find better resolution versions of a couple of those! Seems like the patents postdate the failure of the original Fowler company but Fowler and F.C. Ferrin were probably building bikes pretty similar to those they built and sold in the 1893-7 period.

Groundhog

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 16, 2012
Williamsburg, VA
Iver bars on the Orient/America type bike

Ok- finally getting back to this tandem after finishing my dissertation! I just pulled out the half a handlebar that was on it when I got it and found a new clue!

So- is there any chance these are what came on a turn of the century bike or would they have been replacements? They would have been about 18" tip to tip.

Attachments

Last edited:

Groundhog

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 16, 2012
Williamsburg, VA
Spent a little more time getting rid of the white paint with acetone- still wondering if this tandem was originally black or plated. The headset is definitely plated and there are trances of smooth plating along all the tubes, not just at the joints.
IMG_2309.jpg
IMG_2311.jpg
IMG_2318.jpg

I've been looking at the badges again and based on the holes, it seems like Fowler (diamond) and Victor (rounded rectangle shape) are the most likely candidates. The Victor is the only one I've seen with the orient-style chainrings so far. Anyone know the distance between the holes on a Fowler badge?
1897_Fowler_01.jpg
92-04.jpg

Groundhog

Look Ma, No Hands!
Dec 16, 2012
Williamsburg, VA
Thought I posted these but don't see them now. Parts after paint/gunk removal. The sprockets/chainwheels seem different from the Victor approach, ditto the crank bolting, etc.
IMG_0813.jpg
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0815.jpg
IMG_0816.jpg
IMG_0817.jpg

GiovanniLiCalsi

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
Jun 29, 2012
Alameda, California
Looks like Fauber hangers.
Here is a Velo on EBay. The Fauber catalog chainrings are very similar to your tandems.

Last edited:
This ad goes away when you register for an account!