When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Tandem Project (similar to Orient/Pierce/American)

-
(Pre) Turn of the Century

I have another bike with the wooden fenders and it's a known 1899 model. As far as handlebars, all you can do is find something period correct; in my opinion.

I like the idea of wood fenders and keeping it pre-1900 would be cool. Is the partial fender (not continuing over the back tire) typical of early examples?

I've seen quite a few tandems with mismatched handlebars- generally the ones with rear steering(?) I'd like to have a matched pair but maybe not spend too much in case this thing does get identified and I can find something closer to what came with it.

The bearing cover D&J lead is being a pain in search- anyone know what the D&J stand for? I saw the one post saying they supplied parts (hangers) to lots of companies- curious if this was nationally or midwest (nearer Chicago), etc.

Last edited:
Here's the bearing cover D&J marking

And- just found a serial number 19016 and a small 3 stamped on the front.. any help?

Attachments

• BearingCover.jpg
    BearingCover.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 114
  • Serial.jpg
    Serial.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 104
Park City Mfg. Co., D&J Hangers

They were a national supplier to the best of my knowledge. Here's an ad from the January 17, 1901 "Bicycling World and Motorcycle Review" touting a number of suppliers to the industry including D&J Hangers. Park City Mfg. Co. was located in Chicago according to an article in December 6, 1900 about a fire at their warehouse.

bic412442131900281901newy_0413_zps19dcf0-1.jpg

Last edited:
As far as the fender missing the top portion... got broken off before I got it.:mad:

Regarding the handlebars, they're going to be different most of the time, due to different purposes and cockpits; just like the difference in chainring sizes, captain v.s. the stoker.

I like the idea of wood fenders and keeping it pre-1900 would be cool. Is the partial fender (not continuing over the back tire) typical of early examples?

I've seen quite a few tandems with mismatched handlebars- generally the ones with rear steering(?) I'd like to have a matched pair but maybe not spend too much in case this thing does get identified and I can find something closer to what came with it.

The bearing cover D&J lead is being a pain in search- anyone know what the D&J stand for? I saw the one post saying they supplied parts (hangers) to lots of companies- curious if this was nationally or midwest (nearer Chicago), etc.

Thanks, Gary!

Okozzy- sorry about the fender.
Is there a reason some tandems have such a low back seat/bars? The fact that this one was all on one level appealed to me.

Well, my paint thinning efforts are not going very well. There seem to be patches of surface rust most places that make the thin original paint friable along their edges. I tried PB blaster and thinner, and finally rags and acetone (and oven cleaner on rear chain rings). I wish there was more black left- will probably clearcoat it to stabilize.

Photos are a bit stretched because I tried to stitch 4 together for a full closeup of the bike and photoshop cut the frame- making it look like roadkill, so I just cropped it back into two photos

Attachments

• SplitFrame copy 2.jpg
    SplitFrame copy 2.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 120
  • SplitFrame copy.jpg
    SplitFrame copy.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Victor Tandem

Oliver, I don't know if you ever go on the wheelmen website, but just saw this picture... check out the sprockets.:confused:

Attachments

• 020_zpsfc793e21.jpg
    020_zpsfc793e21.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 124
Thanks, Gary!

Okozzy- sorry about the fender.
Is there a reason some tandems have such a low back seat/bars? The fact that this one was all on one level appealed to me.

Well, my paint thinning efforts are not going very well. There seem to be patches of surface rust most places that make the thin original paint friable along their edges. I tried PB blaster and thinner, and finally rags and acetone (and oven cleaner on rear chain rings). I wish there was more black left- will probably clearcoat it to stabilize.

Photos are a bit stretched because I tried to stitch 4 together for a full closeup of the bike and photoshop cut the frame- making it look like roadkill, so I just cropped it back into two photos

Bikes usually get repainted when the original paint is really bad. It sounds like yours is this way. I would try to strip off the newer paint as much as possible to expose details of the original paint that might help you know what it was like. It might have had some intricate gold leaf. Like you can see remnants of on this bike

http://www.fattiretrading.com/1890sl.html

Then you can blast off all the paint and rust and repaint it like you think it was originally. If you don't find any striping or other details, just paint it all black, or the color of your choice.

okozzy- no, haven't been on wheelmen but thanks for the pic- looks close! The frame on mine seems like it would be the logical simplification eliminating the rear steering and I don't see any brackets for the spoon brake.

Fat Tire Trader- I'll have to see how I feel about it when I finish wiping the white off. Part of me wants to just touch up the bare spots and clearcoat it, rest wants to enamel and re-nickel everything and get it ready for it's next century. No trace of any pinstriping yet- would love to find some

trouble with Wheelmen registration?

I've tried for a few days now to register at the Wheelmen- never got a reply/confirmation. Sent a message to their contact address and nothing. Do they only update members weekly? Woud like to do more research over there

Back