When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Tandem Project (similar to Orient/Pierce/American)

-
Tandem project hasn't progressed very far- waiting on wood rims and need to figure out what spoke length will fit. Going to get some leather to try my hand at restoring the (later) seats. Handlebars will do until I find a period pair. Still some white paint to get rid off and need to break everything down and get/do nickel plating.

In the meantime, we adopted a 61 Flightliner from JD and that is what's currently disassembled in the bedroom:) The anniversary Schwinn with the motor still needs some creative chain spacing around the tire, the Monark is the daily driver

Attachments

• IMG_0751.jpg
    IMG_0751.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 102
Spoke length

If you have a good local bike shop that builds wheels, take the hubs (complete, not just the shells) & the rim to them. They should have the computer program & special tools to determine the correct length of spokes.

Thanks for the suggestion! We are down to one bike shop around here- a long-time one, though. Will see what they can do.

Finally spent some time taking things apart today- got everything off and out of the frame so I can get at the hard to reach bits with the acetone. On closer inspection, I'm sure the fork was nickel plated- the silver color is peeling and bendable in spots, not just bare metal showing through. There are other spots on the frame with similar 'bare metal' areas.. not sure on those.

Got all the small stuff bagged and labeled and stripped the remaining house paint off the disassembled cranks and chainwheels, ready for replating so it would be good to figure out if the fork or anything else should go with them to the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0795.jpg
    IMG_0795.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0796.jpg
    IMG_0796.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 82
This is a very legit tandem.

It deserves a proper restoration and i think you are on the right track.

Don't lose heart..........!

Thanks for the link, Gary!
larmo- I do like the chainwheels and the clean lines on it- just wish I knew who made it so I could hunt a badge and make it more correct. Probably going to try and pull together a set of rat traps if I can find four with matched/complementary circle cut outs to carry the chainwheel theme

I'm on the road for work so I took the other seat with me to take apart in the hotel room- rust is a lot worse on the pan this time but still solid. Seats aren't legit:) but they're what I have and they'll be good practice till I find out what should be on it. Anyone have a guess when they were made? Curious when the bike was last brought 'up to date'. The 'leather' is coated canvas/leatherette, no markings that I could find.

Attachments

• IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0769.jpg
    IMG_0769.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0772.jpg
    IMG_0772.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 78
Keeping what's left of the original paint.. or do you mean keep the nickel, too? I think the paint holds most of the use-wear history/biography of the bike.. the brightwork is mostly a study in corrosion. Other than that, seats, bars, etc. were probably lost in maybe the '30s?

I never had any luck registering on Wheelmen.. will have to dig through emails and try the password they finally sent again

Headset had more to say for itself after an electrolysis bath followed by vinegar.
IDEAL PAT. JUNE 13, 99

Is this the Ideal mentioned in this history? Between this, the split down tubes, and the D&J bearing blocks, signs point to Chicago
http://ramblercycles.wordpress.com/gormully-jeffery-rambler-cycles/

Also, one crank has a 38 stamped on it toward the pedal hole.

Sounding more like Gormully & Jeffrey's America Cycle?

seats are all derusted.. not a whole lot of paint left under there. Down to surviving paint and bare metal for now

Last edited:
Back