When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mystery Tandem Project (similar to Orient/Pierce/American)

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
I don't think it is a G&J, but it could it be a Fowler.
1895_fowler-1.jpg

Thanks- was hoping to find better resolution versions of a couple of those! Seems like the patents postdate the failure of the original Fowler company but Fowler and F.C. Ferrin were probably building bikes pretty similar to those they built and sold in the 1893-7 period.

Iver bars on the Orient/America type bike

Ok- finally getting back to this tandem after finishing my dissertation! I just pulled out the half a handlebar that was on it when I got it and found a new clue!

So- is there any chance these are what came on a turn of the century bike or would they have been replacements? They would have been about 18" tip to tip.

Attachments

• IMG_1493.jpg
    IMG_1493.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1497.jpg
    IMG_1497.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Spent a little more time getting rid of the white paint with acetone- still wondering if this tandem was originally black or plated. The headset is definitely plated and there are trances of smooth plating along all the tubes, not just at the joints.
IMG_2309.jpg
IMG_2311.jpg
IMG_2318.jpg

I've been looking at the badges again and based on the holes, it seems like Fowler (diamond) and Victor (rounded rectangle shape) are the most likely candidates. The Victor is the only one I've seen with the orient-style chainrings so far. Anyone know the distance between the holes on a Fowler badge?
1897_Fowler_01.jpg
92-04.jpg

Thought I posted these but don't see them now. Parts after paint/gunk removal. The sprockets/chainwheels seem different from the Victor approach, ditto the crank bolting, etc.
IMG_0813.jpg
IMG_0814.jpg
IMG_0815.jpg
IMG_0816.jpg
IMG_0817.jpg

Looks like Fauber hangers.
Here is a Velo on EBay. The Fauber catalog chainrings are very similar to your tandems.

Last edited:
Back