When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

? Mystery Trike ?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Wing Your Heel

Wore out three sets of tires already!
RUSTY_TRIKE_35_zps323eaeac-1.jpg

This is a well-designed trike with interesting features, so I'm sure it must be documented. But I can't find anything on it.

It's more elaborate than any other British trike I've seen, presumably influenced by American trikes like Sky King?

Originally had chrome cappings on top of fenders.

'Headlight-horn' (or whatever it is) reminds me of 1960s space-themed accessories, but overall it looks late thirties to me.

Solid tyres. Dunlop Junior saddle, with early-style seat clamp as used on velocipede tricycles.

Suggestions would be appreciated

cheers,

Colin

More pics here...

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/21896-2/

It looks like it has calibers brakes. Are those brake levers on each side of the handlebars?

Hi Colin

Hi Colin...Nice Trike!. Are you the Colin in England that bought my Columbia Pope Bicyclet A while back?
I shipped it to you from New Jersey.
Anyway, great trike!.............Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_2098.JPG
    IMG_2098.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_2104.JPG
    IMG_2104.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Could that trike be a Triang?
There would be no sin in restoring this tricycle since it is so rusty.
Most restored trikes of this era and style are gorgeous when restored and really hold there value. You truly have a rare trike that is not going to show up very often.

Last edited:
Could that trike be a Triang?
There would be no sin in restoring this tricycle since it is so rusty.
Most restored trikes of this era and style are gorgeous when restored and really hold there value. You truly have a rare trike that is not going to show up very often.

I agree about restoring it. She'd look terrific all fixed up with those large wheel fenders properly repainted with appropriate accents or trim.

I've always wondered about the Dunlop name on these children's bicycle seats. Is that connected with the same Dunlop Rubber Co. that makes automobile tires, or just an identical brand name with no relation whatsoever?

Dave

Yes. They were made by Dunlop Rubber Tire. Some were made out of rubber for the extremely wet English weather.

Last edited:
?

Triang/ Lines Bros were a major supplier in Great Britain, and they also sold products made by American companies. So this was the first company I thought of while researching. But i've not found it illustrated in any of their adverts. And the decal does not look like the triangular Lines Bros one. I did ask the chaps at the Triang forum, so i'll let you know if they have anything to add.

I agree totally with what you say about restoring it. Yes, it would increase its value, and 'no sin' as its so rusty. And I have restored very rusty bikes before, just for the experience of it (I'm pleased to report it was a positive experience). But...

I'm a fully paid up member of the Oily Rag Club and I might be excommunicated

Resale value not important as I didn't buy it to resell

Looking at it generates such an overwhelming desire to restore it that I think it's more interesting not to do it :)

DunlopSaddle_zps7f82838f-1.jpg

1923 below

LINESBROS1923FAIRY_zpsec841165-1.jpg

1924 below

LINESBROS1924_zpsb234f532-1.jpg

1931 below

LINESBROS1931_zps9680a7ca-1.jpg

1934 below

LINESBROS1934_zpsf3a84bb5-1.jpg

1939 below

LINESBROS1939_zpse9f6f68d-1.jpg

1950 below

LINESBROS1950_zps589f024d-1.jpg

Found it!

Had never seen one of these before. But today I went to Ripley cycle jumble and there was a great surprise waiting for me - my friend Steve had an identical one on his stall.
He wasn't selling it, but just showing it off because it was the only one he'd seen. He'd spent a long time rubbing off the yellow paint over it.
Luckily he also knew what it is - a 1947 Wavex Wizard!
Mystery solved...

steveswizard_zpsb148d939-1.jpg

I was confused by a British kid's tricycle that looked American, and now I can see the reason why - it was made for export to USA just after the war, when Great Britain had a major export drive to help repay the American War Loans (America charged Britain interest to borrow money to fight Germany)

WAVEXWIZARD_zps380b47a5-1.jpg

http://www.oldbike.eu/museum/childrens/1947-wavex-wizard-tricycle/

Last edited:
Back