When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Navy Bicycles

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
The title:

1940s Columbia WW2 U.S. Navy Men’s Bicycle

1940s World War Two U.S. Navy Columbia Bicycle

Totally Restored

Bendix red band coaster hub, chrome Wald stem, Schwinn Exerciser seat etc. And when did they ever use a set of bars from a cycle truck on a lightweight. Totally restored my asp.

Bendix red band coaster hub, chrome Wald stem, Schwinn Exerciser seat etc. And when did they ever use a set of bars from a cycle truck on a lightweight. Totally restored my asp.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything, except those aren't Cycletruck bars. All of those Olive drab Torrington bars that are getting passed around as Cycletruck bars are actually "M-38 Columbia Westfield" bars. I've bought dozens of them from a supplier in Ohio and they would always be wrapped up in bundles of either 4 or 5 bars and each bundle had a label on them identifying them. The geometry of the M-38 bars is different than Cycletruck bars, they are close but if you do a side by side comparison, you'll see a big difference. Are they correct for this bike? I don't know, but the age and the manufacturer is the same...

Maybe it's a language thing, English not being my mother tongue, but I referred to the point that was made that on any Military bike, everything would have been painted the same color, either Olive Drab or Navy Gray.
But I see now that reference was being made that one wouldn't find a mix of Gray and OD painted parts on one bike.
I do not have much experience on Navy bikes, but my original finish 1942 Huffman Army issue bike clearly has parts that were not painted OD at the factory. I assume bikes manufactured for Navy use would have been similar with some parts not being painted at all.
That being said I do agree that once it was maintained in the unit, or when a civilian bike was put to Military use, it could have had everything repainted...
Just wanted to clear that up.

Back to the original question... If the US Navy was issued Military contract bikes like the ones I show on the 1945 Columbia ad, would they have had a special series frame number, similar to the Army MG series???

The Compax in Navy use shown on my website was clearly a civilian bike pressed into service as described in the picture caption...

Johan

Last edited:
Milbicycleman , Thanks for posting the photos of your yard bike. the actual military lock is accurate! The sailors would "borrow" the workers bikes when left unattended and ride off with them to be funny. It is amazing you have one of these. I spent considerable time in the philabelphia naval yard but I never noticed any bikes.
As far as color goes, the yard bikes although owned by the government, the workers were under civilian management and could paint their bikes whatever they wanted. It is true the U.S.N. did order almost everything that was painted in dark or light grey color. That being said, other then specific requests everything came grey, and if altered would be done later by the command.
As far as military bikes used during the 60s and 70s I never saw any, but I am sure it would be perfectly correct to paint them any color you wanted, as the sailors and even the officers had a rebellious attitude to the command and would do things to individualize things to protest , or sort of "stick it in the eye " of the command. Certain divisions within a particular command would paint over the grey painted items large or small, in any color they wanted. My Repair division painted all our tools pink . the command was not happy with this. It was not uncommon to find "peace" stickers affixed or drawn on military equipment . Allthis was done in protest to the war, and in support for the changes that Admiral Zumwalt was trying to bring about in the U.S. Navy at that time. thanks for sharing your yard bike!

If you see a bike on one of my websites that you have questions about, why not just ask me?!

oldbike.wordpress.com is my original bicycle website from 2007 that was superseded when I set up www.Oldbike.eu

I didn't rate it myself so i resold it. I don't know who restored it. Probably typical of most 'restorations' by military chaps in UK with little or no experience of bicycles. They just slap paint on decent unrestored original BSA Airbornes to park in the back of their jeeps. You should see some of the crap that is 'best in show' at War and Peace!
But the buyer loved it

@ the tinker Your welcome! Thanks for sharing stories about your time in the service and the history about my bike.

Milbicycleman The navy damage control school. It was at far west end of the navy yard, where all the mothballed WW2 ships were moored. there was no activity , or anything being done in that part of the yards.
It was really only storage for row after row of old destroyers, cruisers, and submarines.
After i posted to you i thought about it some , and I think the reason i never noticed any bikes there was because it was so deserted. At that time repairs and deactivations seemed to be happening on the south side if i remember correctly. this would be early 1970. Those bikes at pearl had been painted over many times .maybe the salt air? There was no deactive ships at pearl when i was homeported there. lots of work being done , and i saw those bikes all the time. My buddy really did smash into that old guy riding his bike. , I can still see him flying over the curb. your bike brings back the memories! May I ask how you got it? I remember once a week they did let civilians into the surplus storage to bid on stuff. they had all kinds of neat stuff there, wouldnt surprise me if they had bikes. your bike would look good with a navy decal on it!

Back