When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ND 2 speed - how to dial it in?

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

mbstude

Finally riding a big boys bike
Can someone please post instructions on how to properly adjust the bearing tolerances on a ND 2 speed hub? I either end up with it so tight that the wheel won’t spin freely, or so loose it’s flopping around. Can’t seem to find the happy medium.

This is a like-new setup and everything is freshly oiled/greased. Bearings and cones are all NOS.

Thanks!

I just tightened mine till all the side to side slop was gone. Seems to work great so far.

5083438480_8f08acdca6_o.jpg

File5.jpg

File6.jpg

img158.jpg

img159.jpg

img160.jpg

img161.jpg

img162.jpg

img163.jpg

Well Said OldSkip Tooth !!!! Matt,,look what ya just learned,,,And glad the B B Cups and Bearing Set Up worked out .Photos when done

Thank you for posting all of those pages. Looks like I was doing the right steps to adjust it, I thought I was missing something.

There isn’t a lock nut, but I do have the special washer that slides into the drop out, if that’s what you’re referring to.

This bike has been fighting me since it arrived, and adding the 2 speed has, so far, only served to complicate things. Having slept on it, I think I’ll sell it all and stick with the bikes I already have finished.

Again, thanks for your help.

Last edited:
There has to be a reason driveside cones are always trashed on D hubs. They are very finicky to maintain perfect adjustment, coaster brake or two speed. It also seems that the outward pressure of braking also help keep things difficult in that they loosen up easy and require more frequent adjusting. I can have Morrows, Musselmans or Bendix that hardly need adjusting, but it's always the D that always finds itself loose or surprise, another trashed cone...

Back