When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ND Model A Spring question

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

gkeep

I live for the CABE
I pulled my New Departure Model A apart a few weeks ago and it cleaned up very nicely. Since then I've been cleaning/derusting the spokes, etc. This evening I finally decided the hub and spokes are looking good enough to put the hub back in. After many discussions and research about oil I used a 50wt Triton SynLube GL-1 trans oil we use on some of the trucks at work. Bike grease on the bearings and races. The 50wt has no sulfur additives that would attack the brass/bronze spring.

So my questions relate to getting the spring seated on the clutch. The clutch only fit through the hub from the brake arm side but the spring only fits from the sprocket side. I lightly oiled and greased every surface before I found this small problem. So I took it all apart and worked with just the spring and clutch from opposite sides, then added the rest and spindle. The springs inner coil is in the groove on the clutch but the outer coil was not going to seat all the way and settle in. I tried various ways but what it seemed to come down to is somehow compressing the spring before sliding the clutch into the hub and over the spring, no chance...

Is there some trick to getting these two pieces back in the hub and the spring all the way on or will the whole thing settle into place when I tighten up the cones? I snugged things up then backed off the cones, set it in a truing stand and everything seems to spin smoothly. I don't want to risk damaging the spring by putting it back on the bike and hitting the brake, and SNAP! goes the ancient spring.

Any advice? Am I just being paranoid about the spring?

Thanks for any comments, encouragement or even a "what? are you insane??" :rolleyes:

Just another newbie with too many questions...
Gary

Thats what I'm looking for, perfect! He is so right saying there are not many resources on line about these hubs. Plenty of talk about them but only the parts diagram, no manual scans or contemporary repair articles. This answers my question about positioning the transfer sleeve so that it settles in. I had thought of using a bit of copper pipe to seat it all the way onto the clutch.

Here is mine right out of the hub and expanded prior to cleaning. Interesting detail was the one missing bearing, completely gone.
ND Mod A Assmbled.jpg
ND Mod A Expanded.jpg

Now that I look again I'm thinking, did I face the bearing cages the right way??? I think I'm going to have to pull it apart again just to set my mind at ease.:rolleyes:

Thanks again for posting this link. Have a great weekend.
Gary

Here is a little picture I put together. The spring has a square finish on one end and a rounded on the other, as far as I know the round side goes to the outside.
Model A.jpg

Back