When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ND Model D Overhaul

-

pedalpower17

Finally riding a big boys bike
There are many moments of pleasure cleaning up an old ballooner and returning it to serviceable condition, but overhauling the coaster brake hubs gives me a special satisfaction. Just did my first New Departure Model D. I'm guessing I'm not the only Caber that really enjoys making these hubs run smoothly and brake well again.

ND Model D .jpg

Last edited:
There are many moments of pleasure cleaning up an old ballooner and returning it to serviceable condition, but overhauling the coaster brake hubs gives me a special satisfaction. Just did my first New Departure Model D. I'm guessing I'm not the only Caber that really enjoys making these hubs run smoothly and break well again.

View attachment 921272

When I hear someone complain about the lack of braking power of their ND I ask them when was the last time they serviced the hub. These are great brakes but 70 year old grease, oil, and dirt are no conducive to good braking. V/r Shawn

These are great brakes but 70 year old grease, oil, and dirt are no conducive to good braking. V/r Shawn
After reading a few suggestions, I decided to go with Phil's Tenacious Oil on the discs. In the Spring, my wife will be the judge of the braking!

When I hear someone complain about the lack of braking power of their ND I ask them when was the last time they serviced the hub. These are great brakes but 70 year old grease, oil, and dirt are no conducive to good braking. V/r Shawn

Agreed. They roll super smooth and brake well when properly serviced. My only complaint about the ND system is how grabby it gets when hot. Probably not an issue for most but I like the fact that I can practically catch my Morrows on fire and it still brakes (almost) the same as cold.

Last edited:
when I was a kid I took my coaster brake apart on my bike and got in big trouble when I could not get it back together.

it took me 50 years to drum up the nerve to take one apart and rebuild it:) ... since then I have done several more.

Back