When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neat trick I used to clean cruddy loose bearings

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Guest2

I wanted to share a quick story from this morning...
I was re-assembling a front hub on a bike I just bought from an awesome Caber buddy, ( Thanks @hm. ) and it was time to clean the loose bearings. I had them soaking in WD-40 & was going to scrub them with a stiff bristled toothbrush. The very 1st one I started on popped out of my fingers, hit the worktable, then that awful sound of it rolling across my deck. Then silence...
It fell between the deck boards....Nooooooooo! Fortunately, I noticed it resting between 2 boards. I grabbed this little stack of very powerful industrial magnets I have from a past job. (the little stack with the Lonestar Beer bottle cap "handle" in the pics)
POP! It flew to the magnet & I breathed a huge sigh of relief.
This gave me a thought...I bet the magnets would hold the bearings while I scrubbed them up. Viola! Worked incredibly well! I was amazed...

Repacked the hub, popped them lil' suckers in, slide in the axle & job complete!
Just thought I'd share, hopin' to save some peeps the headaches of losing bearings...we've all been there!
Thanks

Last edited:
Harbor Freight has cheap magnetic bowls and I use those at work sometimes to clean very small greasy machine parts like small springs, screws etc.. I have a habit of dropping everything that's small.

Back