When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a liitle help with this one is it a corvette or jaguar.

-

rweaver

Look Ma, No Hands!
Need a little help with a id on this one. I know the sprocket is wrong.

Attachments

• 00v0v_hFHgtrewbbZ_600x450.jpg
    00v0v_hFHgtrewbbZ_600x450.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 289
  • 00k0k_SmnP87Z38v_600x450.jpg
    00k0k_SmnP87Z38v_600x450.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 282
  • 00w0w_anwIOWwQ93v_600x450.jpg
    00w0w_anwIOWwQ93v_600x450.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:
Must be a Corvette. No top tube decal on a Jag, its decal is on the tank.

Little help here.

IMG_0006.jpg

Didn't some Jag's come without tanks? I ask because the one I have was identical to the blue one as far as the markings went.
Chucky

Last edited:
All middleweight Jags came with a tank. Mark II's and Mark IV's with a full tank. Mark V's VI's a slimline. The only Jag without a tank was the Balloon Jag 54/55

Thank you Sir.

While I am not sure if Schwinn changed the corvette/American frame design but, Corvettes have a different rear fender mount on the frame to accommodate the rear brakes and the fork would also have a hole for the front brake. This bike has neither.

All middleweight Jags came with a tank. Mark II's and Mark IV's with a full tank. Mark V's VI's a slimline. The only Jag without a tank was the Balloon Jag 54/55

58 Jaguar.jpg

This was my Uncle's bike, I inherited it after he passed. So I haven't a clue as to it's past, the serial number dates it as 1958. I just did the bike the way I got it. My current dilemma is whether to ride it or not, thus the lack of a chain.

Chucky

Conventional thinking suggests that those two bikes either got a replacement guard from a Jag, or one might have been repainted, and a top tube decal added. All the catalogs I've seen show the 57 and later Jags with tanks. An original paint frame should at least show some wear marks if it had a tank. Also, from the price lists, there was a base model with coadter brake offered for both the Jag and Vette most years. And a coaster bike may have the frame with the caliper mounts on the frame and fork. I've also seen og paint men's bikes with the ladies' chain guard, which has a brake cable keeper on it. So, it's a mix of what "should" be, and what actually happened at the factory!!!

View attachment 178195

This was my Uncle's bike, I inherited it after he passed. So I haven't a clue as to it's past, the serial number dates it as 1958. I just did the bike the way I got it. My current dilemma is whether to ride it or not, thus the lack of a chain.

Chucky

What's the serial number? That could have a mid November or later 1958 serial number but it looks like and probably is a 19*59 model. The guard and decal on the seat mask are 59 issue. Mid November was the stopping point for the years production and any serial numbers recorded after that were on the next years models. No Jag with a tank had a top tube Schwinn decal.

Back