When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a value if possible and someone to tell me if this is all original as I was told not

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Jamie Brown

On Training Wheels
So I just acquired a 1947 JC Higgins 26-in cruiser was told it was completely original it seems to be completely original it's not in great shape but supposedly it has even the original tires in the front is actually still aired up it also has a small placard on the inside of the frame it says Pinkerton was wondering if you could help me out on the value and if it really is original as much as you can by the pictures I'm attaching you if you need specific pictures let me know and I will get them

IMG_20220827_165743377.jpg

IMG_20220827_165752124.jpg

IMG_20220827_165749876.jpg

IMG_20220827_165805904.jpg

IMG_20220827_165925492.jpg

Welcome to the Cabe, looks OG to me but not much value. Girls bike, bad pedals and seat. Not sure about the paint. Would be a nice rider tho.

If this is your first vintage bike, it will give you lots of opportunity to learn the basic overhauling skills like tearing down, cleaning and repacking all bearing surfaces (both wheels, headset and bottom bracket), clean and re-lube the chain, how to overhaul a coaster brake [not as hard as it sounds], reguvenating dead, tired paint, and getting it back in riding condition. Unfortunately, this learning experience is the most valuable part of this bike. It is a basic, girls entry level (no light or rear carrier and VERY basic saddle in pretty rough shape) bike that is nothing special. Hard facts, dude...we've all been there.
I would not put another dime into it, because you will never get any value out of it-sad but true....
That being said, I would be very careful using OG tires and tubes. While they look nice, they WILL fail on you with an inopportune blowout, just because they're old. Tires and tubes will set you back $60-75.
Collecting, restoring and riding old bikes is a very fun hobby, but do your homework on what era, style and manufacturer is calling your name. Be patient, get educated and buy the best condition bike you can afford.
Oh....and ditch the rack

That may be what’s left of original paint although I do question the painted braces but that maybe how they did the early post war bikes. Other than the grips the rest looks like original parts. Unfortunately, like has been said, not much value. I see a $40 swap meet bike. V/r Shawn

Is that a bike shop sticker/water transfer on the fender behind the seat mast? If so, probably original paint.

If this is your first vintage bike, it will give you lots of opportunity to learn the basic overhauling skills like tearing down, cleaning and repacking all bearing surfaces (both wheels, headset and bottom bracket), clean and re-lube the chain, how to overhaul a coaster brake [not as hard as it sounds], reguvenating dead, tired paint, and getting it back in riding condition. Unfortunately, this learning experience is the most valuable part of this bike. It is a basic, girls entry level (no light or rear carrier and VERY basic saddle in pretty rough shape) bike that is nothing special. Hard facts, dude...we've all been there.
I would not put another dime into it, because you will never get any value out of it-sad but true....
That being said, I would be very careful using OG tires and tubes. While they look nice, they WILL fail on you with an inopportune blowout, just because they're old. Tires and tubes will set you back $60-75.
Collecting, restoring and riding old bikes is a very fun hobby, but do your homework on what era, style and manufacturer is calling your name. Be patient, get educated and buy the best condition bike you can afford.
Oh....and ditch the rack
I got it free and the old man I got it from was riding it up until the back tire got flat a week or so ago. What does the Pinkerton placard mean?

I got it free and the old man I got it from was riding it up until the back tire got flat a week or so ago. What does the Pinkerton placard mean?
It was supposed to be a theft deterrent. The sticker said the bike is registered with Pinkerton's National Detective Agency, at the time a well known security firm.

The Pinkerton sticker was a deal through Sears, that the bicycle was registered by the Pinkertons, to avert theft.

That may be what’s left of original paint although I do question the painted braces but that maybe how they did the early post war bikes. Other than the grips the rest looks like original parts. Unfortunately, like has been said, not much value. I see a $40 swap meet bike. V/r Shawn
Indeed, early JC Higgins bikes did have painted fender braces.

Back