When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice...complete 28" wheel set for a rider

-

Stanley

Wore out three sets of tires already!
I have a shelby that had metal clad wood rims. They are display only. I want to make it a rider. What does everyone use? I see people have some for sale. I would possibly like to use period correct hubs.
Tires also, what is a good replacement tire.
Is there a modern set economical that I can use?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Some pictures of what's left of the bicycle would be good in order to make suggestions.
So many possibilities.
Good to hear you want to get something back on the road.

Most of the guys out here in Ca. use the Velocity Blunt 35 rims.
They are Aluminium, but can be painted to look very convincing.
Coupled with a nice modern Schwalbe or Continental tire, you just about can't find a better riding set up.
Check with @Lux Low here on the Cabe.
Tyler sells complete wheel sets that will get you rolling with the least amount of hassle.
If you want to keep it period correct, there are ways to do that too, but require way more diligence, time and money.
Good luck with the project!

I took the more expensive route.
Amish built 28” wooden rims by Stutzman
Wheelsmith stainless spokes, wooden rim nipples from EBay, 28” X 1-1/2” Robert Dean tubulars in black
9722398B-FDD8-4855-AEE1-2AE8E9367B9E.jpeg

. Ebony stain from Minwax.

Most of the guys out here in Ca. use the Velocity Blunt 35 rims.
They are Aluminium, but can be painted to look very convincing.
Coupled with a nice modern Schwalbe or Continental tire, you just about can't find a better riding set up.
Check with @Lux Low here on the Cabe.
Tyler sells complete wheel sets that will get you rolling with the least amount of hassle.
If you want to keep it period correct, there are ways to do that too, but require way more diligence, time and money.
Good luck with the project!
Sound advice! As you can guess I'm a little lacking in knowledge regarding such bicycles, being from over here. But I can certainly vouch for the Schwalbe's and Conti's on the tyre front!

I took the more expensive route.
Amish built 28” wooden rims by Stutzman
Wheelsmith stainless spokes, wooden rim nipples from EBay, 28” X 1-1/2” Robert Dean tubulars in blackView attachment 948847

. Ebony stain from Minwax.
Expensive but lovely.
Are the Stutzman rims equivalent in size to antique wood rims? How does this size compare to modern 700c?

Back