When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice for this 1948 Schwinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
They are only original paint once! All the patina adds character, I would not even buy a "restored" bike because it's not realistic! Kids did not take care of bikes!

You all have convinced me. I am 100% team preserve patina. I think I may have been too heavy handed had you all spoken up. Thanks! I'm convinced the scratches & dents should continue to tell their story. Tomorrow is my chance to make my proposal. I intend to suggest a gentle approach - the first of a few phases. First phase, I want to remove as much grit and grime as I can without getting too invasive. I want to install some new tires and tubes. I'd like to fix the two broken spokes. We'll see where it goes from there. Any chain-specific tips would be appreciated - that suckers pretty stiff. I'm pretty excited to begin

You all have convinced me. I am 100% team preserve patina. I think I may have been too heavy handed had you all spoken up. Thanks! I'm convinced the scratches & dents should continue to tell their story. Tomorrow is my chance to make my proposal. I intend to suggest a gentle approach - the first of a few phases. First phase, I want to remove as much grit and grime as I can without getting too invasive. I want to install some new tires and tubes. I'd like to fix the two broken spokes. We'll see where it goes from there. Any chain-specific tips would be appreciated - that suckers pretty stiff. I'm pretty excited to begin
There are some good threads on chain cleaning. Soaking in paint thinner or other solvent of choice, using an ultrasonic cleaner works well. I'v used just Simple Green and a brass brush on a chain that was stiff with rust. After a couple hours of soaking I was able to free up the links one at a time, brushed off the crud and then soaked in heavy weight gear oil for a couple days. Gear oil has a pretty strong smell so wear gloves. Use the 75-90 wt stuff that comes in a quart. You'd be amazed how it will clean out all the gunk in the rollers and links. Look in the restoration threads and you'll find lots of chain cleaning ideas. That rusty stiff chain has gone many hundreds of miles since I cleaned it and put it on my 1916 Pierce. It's my main rider.

That bike will clean up beautifully with gently cleaning and elbow grease. Have a great time with it and keep us updated! Great family story!

Back