When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need advice- Transporting high wheel bike on top of rental car.

-

xmtnrider

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hello, I am trying to transport my freshly restored Early safety high wheel on top of a rental car. I got it as far as St Louis so I'm flying from Denver and renting a car in St. Louis. All they had was standard sized rentals so I'm thinking of flying with a truck tire inner tube and inflating it between the bike and the roof of the car. Then strapping it down. I'm hoping I can at least rent a car with a luggage rack. Any advice or pictures showing how to strap a high wheel bike to a car would be appreciated. I'm hoping the bike doesn't act as a conductor while driving through any Kansas lightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could probably fit everything in the car if you disassemble it and the backseats happen to fold down.

You could probably fit everything in the car if you disassemble it and the backseats happen to fold down.

That may depend on the size of the front wheel compared to size of car...

18058157_10154524192947960_6764075335510910793_n.jpg

Hello, I am trying to transport my freshly restored Early safety high wheel on top of a rental car. I'm hoping the bike doesn't act as a conductor while driving through any Kansas lightening.

Though in all seriousness, if I were putting a highwheel on top of a car I would lay it down on its side. Having it stand upright may interfere with bridge/overpass clearance.

when you strap it down , go inside the car with the straps, tighten straps as much as you can , and then put up the windows to hold the straps tighter, I always bring at least 1 strap end into the drivers area , that is so I can see or feel ,if my rig is getting loose . I have done it many times ,and it always works , an assortment of straps is required-good luck,

Why don't you just ship it freight? Try R & L Carriers web site to get a quote. You'll have to have it crated of course.

Hello, I am trying to transport my freshly restored Early safety high wheel on top of a rental car. I got it as far as St Louis so I'm flying from Denver and renting a car in St. Louis. All they had was standard sized rentals so I'm thinking of flying with a truck tire inner tube and inflating it between the bike and the roof of the car. Then strapping it down. I'm hoping I can at least rent a car with a luggage rack. Any advice or pictures showing how to strap a high wheel bike to a car would be appreciated. I'm hoping the bike doesn't act as a conductor while driving through any Kansas lightening.

Tie it down on any inner tube. Car or truck. Take off the pedal if it's a car tube. I transported once using a kiddie pool. I was in Pennsylvania and found out that inner tubes are illegal. Seems there was a law suit over a tube inside a tubeless tire. Also, tie it down with the left doors open so that you don't have to climb through the windows or keep untying every time you have to get out of the car.
Tie left and right. Tie right and left.
Tie front to back. Tie back to front.
Remove all loose stuff...bells, lights, seat, grips.
Bubble wrap the bars and tie them through the front and rear passenger windows.
You can drive to Tierra del Fugo this way!

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions! I fly to St. Louis tonight and drive tomorrow with the bike. I'll post some pics from along the way!

Back