When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEED ADVICE where to find replacement gear cables for 1973 schwinn suburan 10 speed...

-
Search the bay, all categories for: bicycle brake cable cutter
You will find several, all exactly the same, with red colored handle but with no specific branding for approx $16 - $17 total cost.
You do not need the PARK TOOL CN-10 version that sells for more than $40 or the PEDRO's version for $27.
They are basically all functionally exactly the same.
The PARK TOOL version might last longer if you're doing 100+ bicycles.
The PEDRO's version, I believe is exactly the same as the generic red handle cheapie, except with different colored handle and the PEDRO's logo onboard.
I've done a lot of bicycles with the generic unbranded red handle cheapie. It is as good as the PARK TOOL or PEDRO's version.
Now at one time you could possibly buy it for a few bucks less from one or two chinese vendors, but you might not experience the ten to fourteen days shipping time that was normal pre-pandemic.
thebikesmiths, trailthis* (both firms located in Wisconsin) and another firm in California
have it where you can buy it for approx $16 - $17 total cost including shipping & sales taxes.

Should you need a replacement cable set (has Brake Cables, ferrules, cable ends, Shift Cables, Cable Housings...etc),
The BELL PITCREW 600 Replacement Cable Set is decent and is only approx $12.
Ace Harware dot com --AND-- Walmart dot com did at one time have it priced around $9.99 - $10 during the years 2018 thru most all of 2021. I don't know where the current INFLATION related pricing is, as I haven't checked lately.
Many Walmart stores once carried the Bell Pitcrew 600 Replacement Cable Set in the store near the bike pumps, seats, accessories, etc. Typically this item sells out often in stores because it is the best cable set for little money. Now, remember though that ACE stores DO NOT STOCK THIS ITEM IN THEIR STORES, It was Only Available On Their Website.
Be sure to check all possible sources, amazon, the web, the bay, etc for the best pricing from large reputable major online bike shops, etc.

Electricians Linesman Pliers is what I use to cut the cable and casing, they do a super clean job. USA made. That's what sparky uses to cut stranded and solid wire. I usually call them Dykes, but I think that's a brand name.

Back