When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Elgin info

-

cracken32racer

Look Ma, No Hands!
Hi, my name is Bill, this is my first time asking questions. I have an old Elgin, SS # F 33819. Right now it has a bee hive spring fork. What year is it ? I also have a bike that has the exact frame as the Elgin, but has a TRIBUNE head badge. This also has a bee hive springer fork. I think the SS # is L 240550. Can anybody help ?

Tribune was a product of Westfield, and perhaps later Columbia; and Westfield did build Elgin bicycles for Sears.
The product names Elgin and Tribune had starts, stops, and later re-introductions; that is why pictures would help.
Be-hive springer description has me thinking later; and welcome to the CABE.

Hi, my name is Bill, this is my first time asking questions. I have an old Elgin, SS # F 33819. Right now it has a bee hive spring fork. What year is it ? I also have a bike that has the exact frame as the Elgin, but has a TRIBUNE head badge. This also has a bee hive springer fork. I think the SS # is L 240550. Can anybody help ?
I have some pictures to post of my project Elgin and Tribune, bear with me. That was easy !

Elgin 1.JPG

Elgin 2.JPG

Elgin 3.JPG

Tribune 1.JPG

Tribune 2.JPG

Tribune 3.JPG

Both bikes look Westfield built in the earlier 1940’s; both have curved down tubes. They are not the same if one looks at the seat tubes. They have both been modified with motors and springers. The bikes appear to have common parts with Murray, not limited to the springers of later design (1947-51 patent 2,537,679).
The "F" serial motor bike may be 1941 and the "L" immediately post-war.

Last edited:
Hi, Archie is right.

F 33819 is probably around February 1941 (see if there's a second two or three figure number, probably starting G or H with one or two numbers after it, that will date it exactly).

L 240550 is 1947.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Back