When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need guidance on gluing this split wood together. On TOC Bicycle

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
-
I'm a Carpenter and I wouldn't even think of messing with an epoxy. You'll end up with big mess all over the fender that can't be cleaned up, or wiped off with a wet rag. After the crack, spit and break are all clean use some type of clamp to see if you can close the damaged areas to where all the cracks are closed and tight. If everything goes back with no loose splinters keeping the split from easily being closed, then you're ready to drown the splits with a good wood glue. I prefer the old Elmers Carpenters glue, it's still better than most all of the new crap on the shelf today. After completely covering all the splits with glue wiping it in to make sure of no voids, a very moderate clamping pressure is all that should be needed. Do not use excessive clamping pressure! Once it's clamped, wipe off the excess glue with a wet rag or sponge, and at that time you should be able to inspect the repair for any misalignment or other issues that might need attention. Dap Plastic Wood filler is made with coarse sawdust and a solvent based glue. It should be plenty hard and dense enough to fill the recessed area from the old rivet head and support the head of the new rivet.

V V V V V V V
Old school guy! I could tell by the love of Elmers glue. I was that way too until i tried Gorilla glue. Im a new man now! I love the results of Gorilla!

DF6F92AF-5558-490D-98B9-F57F27C4270E.jpeg

Old school guy! I could tell by the love of Elmers glue. I was that way too until i tried Gorilla glue. Im a new man now! I love the results of Gorilla!

View attachment 1827516

I've used all of them and I currently have a bottle of that on my shelf at work. The Boss picked it up. What bothers me the most is the very short shelf life of Gorilla glue. Pun intended. 😂

1682486492362.png

I wonder if after the wood is repaired, if one might make the chances of re-breaking in the same spot less likely, by moving the brace about halfway to the rear end, (but that would require drilling new holes!).

Yes, epoxy would be the best glue for this job. At a hardware store look for an epoxy glue that is clear and is NOT marked "sets in 5 minutes" or "quick setting." You want it to set slowly so you have time to get things lined up and the resin has time to soak into the cracks. There is a lot of information on-line about using epoxy on wood.

We all have different methods that have worked, so this one has worked for me every time….I built and flew RC aircraft some being large at 8 feet wingspan. Wood glue is used on the non stressed areas and slow setting epoxy for areas needing extra strength like wing spars, wing attaching blocks, landing gear blocks and motor firewalls. The 45 minute epoxy sets low enough to allow deep soaking into the wood fibers creating a super strong bond. For filling in any defects like holes, chips etc, use a good wood glue mixed with sawdust, let cure for a couple of days and carefully sand to match the contour of the surface.

Last edited:
Back