Need help before I buy

This ad disappears when logged in

Ridin' my Schween

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 7, 2017
Windsor, CO
1558739026293.jpeg

This bike came up on a local CL ad. Can anyone verify if it is a phantom? What should I be looking for when I go to inspect it? Thanks for your help!

ballooney

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Dec 5, 2010
Santa Rosa, United States
Frame and fork (what's left of it) appear to be a Phantom...

GTs58

I'm the Wiz, and nobody beats me!
Sep 2, 2012
Central Arizona
Fenders are off a different model Schwinn. If it's cheap and the chrome on the stem, crank, S-2 rims and springer parts is in nice condition it would be worth a few bucks in parts. A serial number and a close look at the paint should tell you if it could have been a Phantom. To my eyes, the paint looks like it's been messed with.

Ridin' my Schween

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 7, 2017
Windsor, CO
Fenders are off a different model Schwinn. If it's cheap and the chrome on the stem, crank, S-2 rims and springer parts is in nice condition it would be worth a few bucks in parts. A serial number and a close look at the paint should tell you if it could have been a Phantom. To my eyes, the paint looks like it's been messed with.
Thanks for the tips! These things will be on my list to look at for sure.

Jeff54

Cruisin' on my Bluebird
Sep 11, 2013
Ft Myers, Florida
Yeah, looks like the red was spray bombed and scratched off later, or brushed on cause, it's the wrong shade.. The fork is pre 1955 so, I'd spec the frame to be too. The fenders are not Schwinn of any kind, they're wald or china. , . Lot of money to make it right and with that paint only half A. too. If rims aint S2's even worse.

Last edited:

Ridin' my Schween

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 7, 2017
Windsor, CO
Yeah, looks like the red was spray bombed and scratched off later, or brushed on cause, it's the wrong shade.. The fork is pre 1955 so, I'd spec the frame to be too. The fenders are not Schwinn of any kind, they're wald or china. , . Lot of money to make it right and with that paint only half A. too. If rims aint S2's even worse.
Does the forks look out of wack as well?

Ridin' my Schween

Look Ma, No Hands!
Jun 7, 2017
Windsor, CO
So went this morning to check it out and was pretty excited about scoring my first Phantom and based on the SN it’s a 1955. I started digging in and nothing is left on this bike except the frame and forks and the forks were cracked! He was asking $150. Even though I wanted this to work out, I walked away. There was just nothing there to even call this a phantom. Very disappointing and the search still continues....

Rivnut

Wore out three sets of tires already!
Nov 24, 2012
Shawnee, United States
So went this morning to check it out and was pretty excited about scoring my first Phantom and based on the SN it’s a 1955. I started digging in and nothing is left on this bike except the frame and forks and the forks were cracked! He was asking $150. Even though I wanted this to work out, I walked away. There was just nothing there to even call this a phantom. Very disappointing and the search still continues....
Probably a smart move. You'll question yourself for a couple of days then it will all make sense to you that you did the right thing.

This ad disappears when logged in
Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture