When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help dating/identifying this frame.

-

Undertheradar

On Training Wheels
Hey folks...new here but I’m loving all the info I’ve seen so far.

I just picked up this frame to build up for my daughter. It’s been powder coated, but I can still make out a serial number stamped vertically on the left side of the head tube: U4059215.
The seller though it was a 60’s Columbia but I can’t seem to confirm that.
Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks.
7DD333BA-FEA2-4B0E-B273-CA566AB35598.jpeg

With that style of rear drop out and the serial on the head tube, it's probably early 70's and Murray built.

Welcome to the Cabe!

Thank you everyone...that’s a great place to start.

Based on the Murray thread here, it seems that it would be a 62 based on the serial starting with a “U”. Did they start over with the numbers in the 70’s?

Location of the serial number is the key with repeat SN's. Schwinn moved the SN from the left rear drop out to the head tubes in 1970, March I believe. Murray move the numbers to the head tube also sometime in the early 70's.

The tapered top tube (rear), and special mounting bracket (channel) for the rear red reflector are also Murray features.View attachment 1030910
Safety first - reflectors reflect the Consumer Product Safety Act of 1972, (versus 1962).
Don't need no stinking reflectors!! They just detract from the nice lines, Especially on the old bikes. I really hate when people take a nice old bike and just plaster them full of UGLY ASS reflectors. If you really want safety, flasher lights are the only way to go. Ride On. Razin.

Back