When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help deciding deciding paint color

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Should I go black or red?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1937Zenith

Finally riding a big boys bike
Having a hard time deciding what to do with my roadmaster. Clearly it’s too late to keep original paint unfortunately......so I need help. The frame I am leaving as is, the tank and fenders and chain guard i want to either go all black minus the ribs and the roadmaster logo and sand it to give it some patina or should I paint the tank and chain guard red and remove paint from the ribs and logo and only paint the fenders black?

9B5918DE-3D35-4C06-AA72-5A1205CA9097.jpeg

If you're keeping the frame black & leaving it ratty; bare metal strip the guard, fenders, & use non-scented Heavy Duty Oven cleaner on the tank. Red Oxide Primer the fenders, do a blue, green or a blue'ish green color. Dry & scuff it for a faux patina. If you want mix hydrogen peroxide, salt, & spray from a bottle on any exposed steel. More you do it the darker the "rust" looks. I love CWCs as Much as I do Monarks but Red & Shades of it sucks sooo bad being used so much. I would leave the tank bare or lightly & carefully do it the same way. If you do a poor job masking or painting it's fixable. I like the Rustoleum paint & primer 2in1s.

A lot of color on the bike, red, white (rims), blue, black, and chrome. It is a good idea to reduce that number. I like an antique pewter (medium metallic gray) as a secondary color; such as a black bike with pewter sheet metal and rims, (perhaps even other chrome parts too?). The pewter is not as bright brilliance as some aluminum silvers.

Leave it alone, ride and enjoy . The way it is now it tells a story of collecting the parts, imagination and craftsmanship in the assembly. Paint it and all of that will be gone. My 2 cents

Having a hard time deciding what to do with my roadmaster. Clearly it’s too late to keep original paint unfortunately......so I need help. The frame I am leaving as is, the tank and fenders and chain guard i want to either go all black minus the ribs and the roadmaster logo and sand it to give it some patina or should I paint the tank and chain guard red and remove paint from the ribs and logo and only paint the fenders black?

View attachment 1375308

If it's any consolation There are not any colors, including metallic that CWC used that should be too hard to find or replicate. Unlike Schwinn's candy coating, it should be fairly simply to restore em.

Kinda has the hot rod look. Maybe frame black, tank guard and fenders cherry red. The ribs and logo ivory. As long as the paint is dark regardless of color it will probably look cool.
I agree am def gonna do a dark color. Thanks for the input

If you're keeping the frame black & leaving it ratty; bare metal strip the guard, fenders, & use non-scented Heavy Duty Oven cleaner on the tank. Red Oxide Primer the fenders, do a blue, green or a blue'ish green color. Dry & scuff it for a faux patina. If you want mix hydrogen peroxide, salt, & spray from a bottle on any exposed steel. More you do it the darker the "rust" looks. I love CWCs as Much as I do Monarks but Red & Shades of it sucks sooo bad being used so much. I would leave the tank bare or lightly & carefully do it the same way. If you do a poor job masking or painting it's fixable. I like the Rustoleum paint & primer 2in1s.
Yeah def gonna keep it ratty. Awesome tips on the patina, I’m gonna try it out on a couple spare fenders I have and if I have good results might try some one the roadmaster! Thanks

Back