When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help!! Early folding handlebar grip guards??

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

New Mexico Brant

Riding a '38 Autocycle Deluxe
I found these this past week; "patented August 11, 1896." Could these be early folding handlebar grip guards? The seller thought they maybe skirt guards for a girls bike but the tube clamp section is too big for a frame I would think; they seem more appropriate for handlebar tube radius. Anyone know about these and what they are? They actually fold up and are nickel plated; missing a couple of the rivets.
Many thanks, kindly, Brant

IMG_5901.JPG

IMG_5903.JPG

IMG_5902.JPG

I found these this past week; "patented August 11, 1896." Could these be early folding handlebar grip guards? The seller thought they maybe skirt guards for a girls bike but the tube clamp section is too big for a frame I would think; they seem more appropriate for handlebar tube radius. Anyone know about these and what they are? They actually fold up and are nickel plated; missing a couple of the rivets.
Many thanks, kindly, Brant

View attachment 466352
View attachment 466353
View attachment 466354
Very unusual, could you mount them on a bike to show how they might look?
I can't imagine how they may have been of use, mountain biking being only a twinkle in most early cyclists eyes at that time!

neat, can you show them folded closed?
Might be wrong but I think this is a early basket carrier. I have seen this on a bike at sometime but can,t really be sure.
I will post more images when I return to Pennsylvania later this week. Thank you to David Brown and hello buddy for their input about use as a basket. I never considered that option but it totally makes sense. It would be cool to find the patent drawing on this.

Back