When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Idenifying a Project Bike

-
R

R@GS

Hello, I just joined the forum, I recently retired and am starting a hobby of fixing up old bicycles. I have a starter bike but can't find a picture of one exactly like it on the internet. Does anyone know what year or model this Elgin Bike is or any information about it? I can't find a serial number on it anywhere either. Thanks for the help and as I learn the hobby I will help others.
R@GS
My Elgin Bike.jpg

Attachments

• Front Emblem My Old Elgin.jpg
    Front Emblem My Old Elgin.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 119
Its a '41 Elgin. Try Nostalgic.net for pics.

Here's mine before I added the tank, light and badge.

090911175213-1.jpg

Its a '41 Elgin. Try Nostalgic.net for pics.

Here's mine before I added the tank, light and badge.

090911175213-1.jpg

Thanks ohdeebee ! I appreciate that, it is interesting to find out what my starter bike is. Yours has a cool looking chain guard, I am going to scout around and try to find one of those.

Its a Mercury guard. The Elgin ones are a little different

I have been looking at some parts and saw a "Gothic Guard" on a 41. That is a neat looking piece of metal. I think I will try to find the exact guard though and try to go completely original. It might be fun hunting down parts. It would be nice if I could sell it for a slight profit when I get it done ( I got the bike free) but if they aren't worth much I will give it to some kid. I think they are neat looking old bikes. Thanks for the info and chat ohdeebee.. I am going to check out your site.

Gothic guards are VERY expensive. There are two less expensive versions. The Mercury guard is also correct.

Great job here.**I really enjoyed what you had to say.**Keep going because you definitely bring a new voice to this subject.**Not many people would say what youve said and still make it interesting.**Well, at least Im interested.**Cant wait to see more of this from you.

need help I.D.ing bike

nice elgin how did you get the dog to walk on the handle bars =o)

That was so great! Uhhm, where can I find some spare parts for classic bikes online? Any help please?

Back