When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifiying old bike!

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
S

simoncbrr1

I am new to this and found a old bike i would like to fix up with my son. i need help identifiying it. the head badge says only Sears on it and i am sure the front tire and rim are not original. cants seem to attach the pics so heres a link. http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=461381 thanks!

You can post photos if it has a link location. Hit the yellow and gray mountain button and paste the link. Not a member of your forum.

In the mid sixties Sears started to use Sears badges instead of JC Higgins.

ok here they are, sorry!

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 110
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 53
Looks like a 20" girls bike made by Murray Ohio Mfg. Co. in the early to mid sixties.

Besides the obvious front fender being on backwards, the most important question is: If you want to do something like a bike restoration project with your son, wouldn't it make sense, since you are going to put plenty of time. effort and $ into it, to start with a boy's bike? Restoring girl's bikes are time and money wasters, unless you're starting with a highly collectible bike, or you're doing it to give to your significant other so she will have something to ride as well. Seriously, there are lots of boy's projects with huge potential for under $100. Believe me, you'll be much happier with the finished product!
:D

is this going to be for your son? it is a girls bike after all. if so I may have something more suitable in a 20" boys huffy Convertible from the '50's
let me know.
Scott:cool:
vbulletin

What makes this a girls bike? Is it the way the frame is shaped? I guess i an going to have to get a new one! Thanks for all your help!

definitely a girls bike but cool. you have several options. one go ahead and build it, next find a boys bike, next find a boys frame and transfer parts from the girls bike. the last may be a sensible plan. again I have a couple of Huffy Convertibles that need work. and sadly I dont have the training wheels which on these are really cool. you can make the bike into a tricycle they're so strong!
Scott:cool:

What makes this a girls bike? Is it the way the frame is shaped? I guess i an going to have to get a new one! Thanks for all your help!

The top bar that goes from where the handlebars are back to the seat connects up at the top of where the seat meets the frame on boy's frames, instead of down by the crank. Girl's frames were made with the top bar very low, so girls wouldn't have to be un-lady like and expose themselves while getting on their bikes(girls wore skirts or dresses, not pants when this frame style was developed back in the '30s).

Back