When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying 1970s BMX rat ride ape hanger banana seat

-

Gunner

On Training Wheels
Was painted over long ago. No badges seen. The distinguishing feature is the rocket ship like chain guard and stick shift. Totally unmarked . Any idea what brand it is.

157CC161-3278-4657-BFED-57B08971D880.jpeg

Murray made bike. I can't quite make out the ghost image on the chain guard that would have been the model of this bike. Looks similar to "Buzz Bike" models.

It is a Murray Eliminator. It may have been sold through Murray, or through a department store or auto parts store back in the late 1960's or early 1970's. All of the Murray frames are serial numbered on the non-drive side rear drop out. The serial number will help you decode the model it was. There is a date code, a store code (for the place it was sold) and a model number.

If you post the serial number I think we can find the year and place it was sold. You may have to sand through some paint to see it though!

It is a Murray Eliminator, made by Murray, but possibly sold as a Murray bike, or through a department store or auto parts store back in the late 1960's or early 1970's. The frames are all stamped with a serial number on the non-drive side rear dropout. It will have a code for the year, a code for the place it was sold, and the model number.

If you post the serial number I think we can find the year and place it was sold. You may have to do a little sanding to see it though!

Back