When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying brand of TOC bike by missing Head Badge

-
I had looked at that tandem and lingered over the "BIN" button, I second that it is likely a Cleveland, I've had a few of their bikes with the same adjustable bar.
Good buy!

Lozier Manufacturing Company called their higher end models the Cleveland (1897 - $100) and their lower end models the Westfield (1897 - $75). I would guess the tandem was sold as a Cleveland. I do not have Cleveland catalogs but looking through period bicycle publications there is a reference in January 1897 that "Lozier is just now experimenting with a new tandem". They do not show a tandem in their 1898 line up so it may have only been offered in 1897 only. Someone with access to 1896-98 Cleveland catalogs can confirm when tandems were offered. Serial number seems to fit into 1897 timeline.

Search "Lozier built Cleveland, model 29" here on CABE for a lower serial number example for comparison.

Thanks Blue Streak! So are you of the mind that the bike is most likely a Cleveland and that is was most likely manufactured before the turn of the century. The handlebars and stems made me think it might be before TOC by looking at hundreds of pictures of old bikes over the last few days. Pages from that 1897 catalog showed cork grips. Did they use cork grips for several years. If so do you think I would be fairly correct to install cork grips on it. Also do you know if the handlebars were chrome or nickel plated? Thanks again for all your help and knowledge!

Jesse, Yes I feel I got a really good deal considering it had the handlebars and stems as well as the chains and sprockets. I can fairly easily get this road worthy to cruise arought the Victorian Seaport Community I live in half the year. Curious, I am quite new to the older bikes, What is meant by the adjustable bar?

Jesse, Yes I feel I got a really good deal considering it had the handlebars and stems as well as the chains and sprockets. I can fairly easily get this road worthy to cruise arought the Victorian Seaport Community I live in half the year. Curious, I am quite new to the older bikes, What is meant by the adjustable bar?

The handlebars on these Cleveland / Lozier bicycles can be turned "up" or "down" but removing that top castle nut and washer, removing the bars, flipping them, and re-installing.
I will warn you it is not the best "tech" in that the same bolt that tightens the bars in place also tightens the quill wedge that mounts the stem in the steer tube. For this reason, the bars do not age especially well. My theory has been that they just require all parts to be clean / rust free to function at peak capacity.

SIDENOTE- I have a complete Cleveland Lozier badge somewhere that would finish this frame nicely - PM me if you want to talk about that -

Jesse

The handlebars on these Cleveland / Lozier bicycles can be turned "up" or "down" but removing that top castle nut and washer, removing the bars, flipping them, and re-installing.
I will warn you it is not the best "tech" in that the same bolt that tightens the bars in place also tightens the quill wedge that mounts the stem in the steer tube. For this reason, the bars do not age especially well. My theory has been that they just require all parts to be clean / rust free to function at peak capacity.

SIDENOTE- I have a complete Cleveland Lozier badge somewhere that would finish this frame nicely - PM me if you want to talk about that -

Jesse

From a list of Cleveland bicycles made at the Lozier factory in Toronto Ontario. Lozier had factory there from early 1890,s till1899 bikes used the same numbers as US made Clevelands. Only shows Tandem made in 97. Also all parts should only be nickeled. Chrome did not come out till the 30,s

Back