When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Identifying My Bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
Look around for the serial number. Look on the headtube (the tube the badge is stuck to), under the bottom bracket (the big tube the crank goes through), and on the rear dropouts next to the rear axle. Post pictures of any numbers you find. They may pin down the year.

Also, this is a Sears bike, and you may find a sears catalog number on it somewhere. The maker was probably Murray Ohio. Pictures the numbers you find should help narrow it down.
thanks for the tips on checking for a serial number! Will take a closer look today.....

Oops. I don't know how I left this one out: my wife on her 24-inch Dyno Glide.

Put the handlebars from my old Huffy Cranbrook on the Free Spirit and they are perfect...super stoked about that! I was even able to put the old Hunt Wilde grips on 'em.....
Found what I think is the serial number by the front decal......

View attachment 1365649
That is Good & yep that would be the serial on the gooseneck. I have no idea on the later 70s+ because most of my bike addiction stops around middle weights into '65. If it rides & serves your needs then awesome. Everybody needs at least 1 Good comfortable rider

Put the handlebars from my old Huffy Cranbrook on the Free Spirit and they are perfect...super stoked about that! I was even able to put the old Hunt Wilde grips on 'em.....
Found what I think is the serial number by the front decal......

View attachment 1365649
-----

Thank you for this information!

It tells two pieces of data:

a) the bicycle's product number/item number

b) who the actual manufacturer was

it is not the cycle's serial number

that should be on the bicycle at another location as mentioned earlier

tip - if you should elect to register/license the machine do not let the agency doing the work record this number. there are probably thousands of bicycles which wear it so it can make for confusion in registration & the tracking of stolen cycles...

the two code prefixes am able to recall for Sears bicycles is that 502 equals Murray and that 503 equals Steyr

Sears had their bicycles manufactured by a number of companies through the years. other readers are sure to know some of the other codes. ;)

-----

Sears had maker codes for nearly all if not all products they contracted to outside manufacturers, not just bicycles but toasters, washing machines, TV sets, whatever. There are whole long lists you can find online if you dig a little. Naturally the lists changed over Sears long history. I agree 502 is Murray. The rest of it as already mentioned is a product number, and you might even be able to match it to a Sears catalog. Some libraries may have the old catalogs.

dang...you guys are a knowledgeable bunch! I'm mostly interested in the approximate era of this bike....anyone out there have an opinion or input?

Back