When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying old 3 speed Schwinn

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
T

turtle47

I bought a bike from a neighbor back in 1969 or 70. I researched the catalogs from 1960-1970 and did not see any 3 speed models in Sierra brown until 1969 or 70. Those years would not have matched the condition of the bike when I bought it. More like 57-59. They didn't offer a 3 speed in brown even in 1960 as far as the catalogs showed.

My memory is a little fuzzy on all the details. It was a 3 speed Sturmey-Archer Schwinn, diamond style frame, had the narrow wheels and tires, 26", I'm pretty sure it was sierra brown, hand grips were either black or white, and i think they were white. Unfortunately, I do not have any pictures of this bike. I know the seat had slotted tabs on the back to hang a bag from because I had a bag filled with tools and patch kit. It had fenders front and back when I got it., and it had hand brakes front and back. It seemed like it was probably 8-10 years old when I bought it as it had some surface rust on the chrome parts, the decals were flaking off, and the paint was fairly dull. It had sat outside next to a rock wall for at least a couple years while the neighbor kid was gone to college. He sold it to me for $15 and i had to race home to get the money and beat another neighbor kid back to make the buy.

I rode the wheels (literally) off that old bike. Broke the front rim and couldn't afford a new rim, so I replaced the narrow wheel and tire with a fat one off a 24" bike that we had laying behind the shed. I hated the brown paint job, so I painted it blue soon after the purchase. That is the reason I cannot remember what year or model it was. I would really like to know what model and year it was and would like to replace it with another one similar to it. I loved the way that thing rode and shifted, and have owned several bikes since then and have not been satisfied with any of them. So any of you Schwinn experts out there that can help me out, I sure would appreciate it. Tim Moore

Back