When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Identifying this 1972 Dutch Royal...

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

Grito

On Training Wheels
First post--please be kind if I'm in the wrong place... The guy I bought this from says it's a 1972 Royal. Badge says "The Original ROYAL Made in Netherlands" I haven't been able to find anything online referencing "Royal" dutch bikes, except perhaps it's a commuter model of a Royal Gazelle? Bike is in great condition and I'm enjoying the ride, but would appreciate more information. Bottom bracket and lugs are Nervex. Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub. "Royal" decals on downtube, bottom tube and chain guard. Weinmann brakes, chrome rims, Normandy hubs. Thanks!

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4349.JPG

Looks like it could be a Raleigh knockoff. I had a Royal Scot that looked very much like your bike. Great riding bikes. Built to last

Wow, great to get some input--thank you guys.

That headlight, with the S-curved bracket, caught my eye right away... Works great, too. The bike is unquestionably Raleigh-inspired, but the badge isn't a Scot or any other knockoff/lesser model I'm familiar with. I've been told Gazelle was the first manufacturer in Holland to be granted the right to use "Royal" in its model names: if that's true, I'm assuming a simple badge that says "The Original Royal" may be related to Gazelle. Or not... Perhaps it was a brief experiment? As far as age--I'm pleased you guys agree: I remember 1972, and most everything on the bike is period appropriate and/or original as I recall back then.

Honestly, I just wanted a sturdy commuter; turns out it's much more fun to ride than I anticipated...

Grito you definitely have a well built long lasting bike there. Best of luck with it.

Back