When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need Help Identifying this 1972 Dutch Royal...

-

Grito

On Training Wheels
First post--please be kind if I'm in the wrong place... The guy I bought this from says it's a 1972 Royal. Badge says "The Original ROYAL Made in Netherlands" I haven't been able to find anything online referencing "Royal" dutch bikes, except perhaps it's a commuter model of a Royal Gazelle? Bike is in great condition and I'm enjoying the ride, but would appreciate more information. Bottom bracket and lugs are Nervex. Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub. "Royal" decals on downtube, bottom tube and chain guard. Weinmann brakes, chrome rims, Normandy hubs. Thanks!

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4341.JPG

IMG_4345.JPG

IMG_4346.JPG

IMG_4348.JPG

IMG_4349.JPG

Looks like it could be a Raleigh knockoff. I had a Royal Scot that looked very much like your bike. Great riding bikes. Built to last

Wow, great to get some input--thank you guys.

That headlight, with the S-curved bracket, caught my eye right away... Works great, too. The bike is unquestionably Raleigh-inspired, but the badge isn't a Scot or any other knockoff/lesser model I'm familiar with. I've been told Gazelle was the first manufacturer in Holland to be granted the right to use "Royal" in its model names: if that's true, I'm assuming a simple badge that says "The Original Royal" may be related to Gazelle. Or not... Perhaps it was a brief experiment? As far as age--I'm pleased you guys agree: I remember 1972, and most everything on the bike is period appropriate and/or original as I recall back then.

Honestly, I just wanted a sturdy commuter; turns out it's much more fun to ride than I anticipated...

Grito you definitely have a well built long lasting bike there. Best of luck with it.

Back