When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying what model this is.

-

Monarkman

Finally riding a big boys bike
Bought this recently and serial # dates the frame to September 1953, but it has a typhoon chain guard on it, ( my understanding is the Typhoon was introduced in 1962)
The fenders appear to be original? I cannot locate any model in the 53 catalog that has similar “paint scheme/Schwinn text)

now, I realize this bike has had some things added that don’t belong, carrier, wheels.

I do have original seat and bars.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

99D81A28-F77F-485C-B207-8D8965FE25DE.jpeg

It has 1959 and newer decals so if original that's no 1953. If you used that serial number look up of Pats you're going to be scratching your head since it will give you the wrong year of the stamping. What's the number and where is it stamped?

Hello, and thank you so much for your reply .the number is on left rear drop out and is:
A47388

0058BF6D-14A0-4EA2-A820-6DEF419929C3.jpeg

It has 1959 and newer decals so if original that's no 1953. If you used that serial number look up of Pats you're going to be scratching your head since it will give you the wrong year of the stamping. What's the number and where is it stamped?
Here’s what it looked like when I took it home, had the front rack , if that helps.
The bars were marked with Schwinn script.
I’m beginning to think this maybe a Tiger?

only thing I’m confused about is it currently has the big balloon tires on it which I didn’t think would working middleweight frame?🤔

DB44E4AA-F43D-4D1F-A61B-C7C3AD1292BD.jpeg

Looks like that may be a 1965 or 1966. There was a serial number stamping problem at the beginning of 1966 and a month/year letter stamping was left out. I've heard there was also a problem in 1965 but haven't been able to verify that yet. There were only a select few of the models that did not come equipped with a chrome fork crown and the Typhoon never had one all thru it's production. A Tiger did have the chrome crown. Check out the 1966 serial numbers on the Anglefire site or here on the Cabe's copy that's in a sticky in the Schwinn section.

Here's my 1966 Varsity with the miss stamped January serial that's missing a prefix letter. Your crank should have the casting year on it.

Last edited:
Looks like that may be a 1965 or 1966. There was a serial number stamping problem at the beginning of 1966 and a month/year letter stamping was left out. I've heard there was also a problem in 1965 but haven't been able to verify that yet. There were only a select few of the models that did not come equipped with a chrome fork crown and the Typhoon never had one all thru it's production. A Tiger did have the chrome crown. Check out the 1966 serial numbers on the Anglefire site or here on the Cabe's copy that in a sticky in the Schwinn section.

Here's my 1966 Varsity with the miss stamped January serial that's missing a prefix letter. Your crank should have the casting year on it.

View attachment 1488788

Thank you very much for your response ands the great info, I appreciate it very much!

I’m still trying to understand how Schwinn could have put a 53’ serial number on a 65’ or 66’

The serial numbers starting in 1937 on the one piece crank models were machine stamped and there have been stamping issues a few times over the years. Either a machine malfunction or a worker's brain fart setting up the stamping dies.

The crank casting date and the fork casting date should verify a year of production. On the inside of the left fork leg just above the axle slot there should be a two or three number stamping. 9+6 = Sept. 1966.

Here's a funny. The serial numbers were stamped on the component prior to that piece being used to build a frame and in May of 1970 the serials were moved from the drop out to the head tube. Here's a tandem that had two serial numbered components at the time the serials were relocated.

Back