When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying what model this is.

-
I’m still trying to understand how Schwinn could have put a 53’ serial number on a 65’ or 66’
Schwinn changed numbering systems several times. Before 1952 the numbers were always under the bottom bracket. From 1952 to 1969 the numbers were always on the left drop-out, but some numbers were repeated three times during the '50's. They went to the two letter system in 1965, but even then, some early numbers were mis-stamped (a letter left off). Schwinn serial numbers are not an exact science, but at least the basics are pretty well understood. Some makes like Hercules (Birmingham, England) were in business from the teens, and nobody's been able to find any system to their serials to this day. Or if they have, they're keeping it to themselves.

The serial numbers starting in 1937 on the one piece crank models were machine stamped and there have been stamping issues a few times over the years. Either a machine malfunction or a worker's brain fart setting up the stamping dies.

The crank casting date and the fork casting date should verify a year of production. On the inside of the left fork leg just above the axle slot there should be a two or three number stamping. 9+6 = Sept. 1966.

Here's a funny. The serial numbers were stamped on the component prior to that piece being used to build a frame and in May of 1970 the serials were moved from the drop out to the head tube. Here's a tandem that had two serial numbered components at the time the serials were relocated.

View attachment 1492855

View attachment 1492856
Wow! Thank you so much for the great information 👍🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

Can anyone help me decode this number on the lower left drop out. It is for a speedster I am looking at
FA87595

Back