When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help identifying

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

johnson cycle works

On Training Wheels
I recently acquired this old beauty, and would like to know what it is. The chain ring, chain guard and louvered fenders seem pretty distinctive. I haven't decided yet if I want to restore it, leave it alone or make it into something totally different. I know it's not worth much, but it's all there and in decent mechanical condition.
IMG_20190712_125505095.jpg

IMG_20190712_125522848.jpg

IMG_20190712_125534081.jpg

IMG_20190712_204733213.jpg

Its a early 50's Hawthorne Roadmaster... easily ID'd from the back of each fender (stampings) the chain ring and flat chain guard. Id easy say its a 1947-1954.

Jim Scott
Collecting classic bicycles since 1989

Serial number will nail the year for sure. Like you said not worth much but they make nice riders. Not worth restoring but you could refurbish, service, ride. V/r Shawn

Thanks guys! So, that means it was produced by Roadmaster, and sold by wards?

Where would I find a serial number reference chart?

actually produced by Cleveland Welding Company as a Roadmaster.

They had gothic fenders and a different chain guard through 1949 I believe, this looks more like an early 1950's if the sheet metal is original, typically this bicycle would have a tank on it also.

Montgomery Ward sold similar CWC-built bicycles, but as a big store would negotiate unique parts/accessories, which might have been unlike those ones called-out in the previous replies, which may have been unique to Roadmaster.

The wear point on the rear fork behind the right crank arm indicates that at one time the crank bearings, cones or cups may have worn-out, or had become loose yet still ridden for a quite some time. For a rider that might be repaired or just patched & filled.

Back