When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help IDing this '83 MTN bike

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

LIFE OF SCHWINN

I live for the CABE
I just got this at garage sale. Someone liquid painted Schwinn on it. I doubt it's a Schwinn because the
parts don't match '83 Sierra and badge holes are for round badge, not oval. Levers are stamped '83 so
I'm thinking '83? Maybe ROSS?
1st pic is of round cable guide. I've never seen that on a bike or at least, not like this?
2nd is frameset and 3rd is parts taken off it.

Here's a list of parts:
Araya 7x on Suzue high flange hubs
Sakae/SR MP-131 pedals
Sakae/SR MTS 100 bars/slingshot stem
Suntour Power Shifters
Sakae/SR MTE 100 26.8 adjustable seat post
Suntour Mountech front and rear derailleurs
Diacompe levers

DSC02241.JPG

hsff.JPG

hsparts.JPG

I think smalledt ross frame that time was 19". Hard to tell from pic, is that chainring a double or triple.

Triple plateau. '83 Schwinn Sierra had a four bolt stem and large shell BB. I've seen older Ross bikes with the Slingshot stems
and nicer components, but never with the round cable guide? I wonder if it's something else?

No stamps, but forged dropouts (similar to Ross ones).
I've had both bikes and I was also thinking the 850, but not, for same reason. Maybe someone welded that guide on? I've seen crazier things on bikes...

Last edited:
The geometry is unlike most MTBs from the mid 1980's, which is indicated by the long-ish top tube. Is the fork made by Ishiwata? If so, it very well may be a Schwinn.

No stamping whatsoever. It looks identical to you Ishiwata, though. Wondering if I should powder coat this and built it back nicely? I through some junk on it to get rid of it...

DSC02463.JPG

DSC02464.JPG

83?.JPG

Back