When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help looking up 1930’s Elgin serial number.

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

49deluxe

'Lil Knee Scuffer

Good evening fellow Cabe members, I’m looking for help With the serial number in my new bicycle I just picked up. I was told it’s a pre war 1936 Elgin. Serial number is D2 C6414.

This is my first pre-war bike and it’s a keeper to my collection. Thanks for any help and advice.

Hi @49deluxe

And Welcome.

As @Archie Sturmer said, it's a Westfield made Elgin for the Sears and Roebuck catalogue company.

The D2 code says the frame was made in February 1937, but then it sat in stock at the factory until January 1938 when the bike was built up and allocated the serial number C6414. The serial numbers in 1938 started at C5000 on 3rd January 1938, so yours would have been built only a few days later.

It is an unusually large gap between the frame being made and the bike being built, but it was a rough period for Westfield as they were coming towards the end of their Elgin contract, and you do see some strange gaps like that.

Best Regards,

Adrian

Hi @49deluxe

And Welcome.

As @Archie Sturmer said, it's a Westfield made Elgin for the Sears and Roebuck catalogue company.

The D2 code says the frame was made in February 1937, but then it sat in stock at the factory until January 1938 when the bike was built up and allocated the serial number C6414. The serial numbers in 1938 started at C5000 on 3rd January 1938, so yours would have been built only a few days later.

It is an unusually large gap between the frame being made and the bike being built, but it was a rough period for Westfield as they were coming towards the end of their Elgin contract, and you do see some strange gaps like that.

Best Regards,

Adrian
Thank you for your help and information, I looked for hours on the internet and couldn’t find that information. I really appreciate it. At least I know what it is.

Back