When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help - New Departure rear hub

#eBayPartner    Most Recent BUY IT NOW Items Listed on eBay
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture
eBay Auction Picture

eddie_bravo

Wore out three sets of tires already!
What an I doing wrong?
The darn thing has just smooth out 3 of those "clutch" grab clip
I apply the pressure to break and there it goes- not grabbing, breaking and no pedaling forward
Pull hub apart and another busted clip

Any ideas what I've done wrong
Any help and suggestions appreciated
Only got a couple more of those clips, so I gotta get it right

Thank you in advance

1cc2bfee72613ac9e40de93a3f801c5b.jpg

7f00fa6695f16840d7b1d04641bc2055.jpg

8da032e888bc5612427c3803c7ba7271.jpg

df3716933a07c91495441b0001adaf2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the D12 spring isn't seating into the groove in the D3 clutch sleeve before assembly. If it doesn't, the spring gets crushed, seen it happen before.

Another thought on this problem. The slot has a small length. Even properly seated, if the kick back is too great, the tab comes out of the slot...CRUSH!! The clutch plates wear as do the splined part and the inside of the hub. After assembly, if you have too much kick back, add a clutch disc. This keeps the amount of travel on the splined part to a minimum, keeping the tab in the slot.

Looks like the D12 spring isn't seating into the groove in the D3 clutch sleeve before assembly. If it doesn't, the spring gets crushed, seen it happen before.
What Rustyjunk said........[emoji23] [emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

what about putting grease on the disc s,thought this will cause a slip stick condition,should keep them clean of grease and use oil .

Is there a specific count on the clutch disc? I may just add some

I was looking at it and it seems to come out easily

9cc3425795b758e6f340849eb5539fef.jpg

fa8eaca005e2f466634bef057b263715.jpg

4d2cfafb15d4d108304f551b0504de43.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are USUALLY in a stack of 9 and 8. Brand new they total 3/4 inch. BUT, hub wear and spline wear create extra space. MINIMIZE kickback.
And like RJ says, keep the tabbed and plain discs in order. You've doubled a couple of un-tabbed ones in the photo.
Again, if you add discs to lessen how far you have to kickback to get brake contact, your spring won't fall out of the slot. A lot of wear goes on over the years. That hub is older than you.
Eddie, you can't measure the amount of movement without the whole mess loaded into the hub. Bearings, cones, brake arm, and nuts. You will never see movement of the slot and tab. The amount of kickback is the telltale.

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem, don't think I had enough discs. Also, it's recommended to oil the discs, not grease, that's what I learned on here anyways. More discs would bring the D12 spring up filling the slot better.

Back